In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hey you Southern folks...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,201 ✭✭✭✭

asop, that's the "Y/W" rule i wrote about above.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Uncle Remus and Ber' Rabbit was required reading down here from 1st grade to the 12th, we considered it our English books. 😉

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Fourth Grade in Atlanta, 1961. Our teacher was from the old Southern aristocracy. Ms Causey taught the class a song. All white kids, this was in the days of segregation. We all stood beside our desk, and we put our hands on our hips. We shook our hips side to side, and we sang "Me and my Mammy gonna pick a bale of cotton. Me and my Mammy gwine a' pick a bale a day."

Then, all of us 10 year old kids put our hands high over head, shook our fingers, and cried out "Oh, Lawdy!" And then we bent over and put our hands on the floor. We rolled our hands, as though we were picking cotton, and cried out "Pick a bale of cotton!" Then the hands back over the head, "Oh, Lawdy!" then hands back on the floor "Pick a bale a day!"

It is from this old spiritual.

Something tells me the kids up in Yankeeland were not learning this song in school.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******

It was " Mammy's little baby loves shortnin' bread" ar my elementary school.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭

Oh yea, and we drink tea down here (no need to call it sweet tea in the south). Its a GIVEN that means SWEET tea. If you need unsweet, you gotta ask for it! If you order tea, it WILL be sweet😁

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with Mike55

Growing up my parents (well same for us)

They Never turned any one away

we had our small house packed with family and friends more often than not . some for months

mom would cook and it may not have filled every one up but every one had some food And a dry place to sleep

Private time was non existing to say the least lol

Same when we went to.south visiting family down south they had little but kindness and making us as comfortable as possible

Lot of good memories from back then

As for me I have helped countless people stranded/ broken down on the road I have did countless car repairs for free to help some people I did not even know all pay it forward I hope karma took notes lol

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******

Talking about FRIENDLY folk! My right shoulder hurt for a week from all the waiving I returned to those I passed driving around SW Virginia! 😁

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

they all wave in them big cities too, though it usually is only with one finger................

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

Southerners like sweet tea.

I was working as a paramedic in a small town in Georgia. One day, we were called to transfer a pt. from the hospital back to her home. This was a 51 year old gal. She had just had her right foot amputated at the ankle, because the foot had gangrene, because she had diabetes. And the doc was in the room when we were loading her up on the stretcher, and he said to her "Now Ms. Julie I'm telling you again, get off of that sugar, or your diabetes will get worse, and we will be back here next year, amputating your entire right leg."

She said "Yes sir, doctor."

We took her home, she lived in a nice little 2-bedroom house with her 55 year old sister. Sister was making up a batch of tea. These Southerners don't mess with a 5 pound bag of sugar, they buy the ten pound bag of Dixie Crystals, that way they only need one bag per week.

Sister was mixing up a big 1/2 gallon batch of sweet tea and I watched her put about two pounds of Dixie Crystals in there. As we loaded our patient onto the bed, she said "Oh sister, give me a big glass of that sweet tea on ice. That tea at the hospital weren't no good!"

There is an absolute epidemic of diabetes in Georgia. I wonder why.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Southern tea= 3 tea bags,1 gallon of water,5 pounds of sugar.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

first time i went to Utah, i found out didnt everyone drink sweet tea, heck they didnt even know what it was.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭

"There is an absolute epidemic of diabetes in Georgia. I wonder why."

There is an epidemic of diabetes in the ENTIRE country! Everyone eats "fast" food and lots of it! Cant just single out Ga in that one!

• Options

We were visiting friends in Wisconsin and while out to dinner at a “supper club” (that’s what they call them up there). I ordered iced tea and the server told me they only serve iced tea in the summer. WHAAAAAAAT.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,201 ✭✭✭✭

varian, I've lived in Utah for 35 years and everywhere I order iced tea, they ALWAYS ask "sweet or un?"

I only drink it "un". Or as an Arnold Palmer.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
  • Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

Read about UK diabetes. It's worldwide.

• Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

cut junk food and more daily aerobics

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

""2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.""

Our 'Southern' (Proper Adjective) snakes know when it is hot as blue blazes - you go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and cool off doing some surfing - and since you are on the beach - you need to scarf down 'sweet tea' - shrimp - & - grits - preferably cheese grits.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options
    NontypicalNontypical Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

Bermuda grass is Tremudy Grass in western Oklahoma

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

And not all of them are reptiles ..........................................

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"