In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looks like your cable bill may be going up

chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Jury sends message to Charter with $7 billion verdict over murder of customer | Ars Technica

Elderly customer murdered by service tech. Jury awards 7 BILLION dollars in damages.

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

good luck collecting they may get a settlement and the lawyers will get a crap load of money

to me same as suing a gun company or car company the cable company have no control when some one goes off the deep end and does such Evel things .

how about countless other factories and business a employee kills another worker are they Libal also for any where close to that amount ahh no way

the court and jury all knew it was a BS sum but I have read many times joe and jane average on a jury feel like there getting even with big business when awarding such huge crazy settlements.

any one with a IQ above 20( I just made it 😲 ) should know it rolls down hill to the paying customers .. oh boy we got millions billions ,in court oh crap our bill went up 50.00 this month along with millions of other subscribers who will pay th e cost

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

..'.good luck collecting they may get a settlement and the lawyers will get a crap load of money'...

...They will get their money at some point...what matter an attorney may get almost half... without an attorney they would have got next to nothing, if anything...half of seven billion dollars is far better than nothing...I'd be glad to be 'waiting ' on three and a half billion dollars myself...

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭

I did not read the entire story, only about half. BUT 7 billion, or even the 3 billion reduced, is crazy. I understand a woman died, and the company bears some responsibility but BILLIONS! They didnt hire him to go kill her. They should have vetted him better, but to say they owe billions is way over the top.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

Total madness. But then, it is easy to give other people's money away.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭

I would suspect a type- O, $7,000,000 I could believe, but $7,000,000,000 that isn’t in the scope of reality.

• Options

Yes, that was Billion withe a B. Appears the jury was aggravated when the cable company appeared to have attempted to falsify some written evidence- and BILLED the deceased for the service call where she was murdered.

I agree that is going to be appealed, but seems as if cable company shot themselves in the foot- several times.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭

They will spend hundreds of millions (if necessary) fighting this

• Options

Austin- of course they are gonna appeal the living daylights out of it- the alternative is to pay out $7 billion dollars. And I am not a lawyer, but don't think you can bankrupt your way out of a jury award.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭

7 billion would not bankrupt Charter, they will just continue litigation until they bleed opposing counsel dry

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

My cable bill will never go up. I don't use cable.