In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aftermarket grips (stocks) for Colt "COWBOY" model (Serial # begins with TF) Single Action revolver

oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭

While aftermarket grip panels are available for the more conventional Colt SAA of all generations, does anyone know if the standard SAA grip panels will fit the Colt COWBOY (Serial #s begin with TF) single action produced from 1998 to 2002, or if any company produced aftermarket grip panels (walnut, stag, etc.) specific to this Colt revolver?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The bluebook says"black competition grips similar in design to 1st generation grips." It does not say there were any frame / grip changes. I would think any SAA grip would fit. But, I do not know FOR POSITIVE.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

At least through the 3rd generation, Colt used oversized grips on the SAA. The grips were screwed to the grip frame & sanded & buffed to flush. They then removed the grips & sent the grip frame to be refinished. It's possible to fit new SAA grips to an SSA revolver by hand, but it takes a lot of time & patience.

Cowboy models were engineered to be cheaper than the SAA. My guess is that Cowboy grips were molded to be a "close enough" fit on the Cowboy frames.

Neal