In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chevy 1.5L Turbo Engine Question

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

My son has a 2016 Malibu that has a misfire. He ran a compression check and one cylinder is about 110 psi. The other 3 measure about 220 psi. How can a 10:1 engine have 220 psi at cranking speed? Maybe his gauge is faulty. OK guys, start telling me that he should have bought a Ford!

Thanks anyway,

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

OK

he should have bought a Ford!

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Theoretically possible. As temperature increases, so does pressure, which increases temperature, which increases pressure.

So, if the volume is 1/10 and the temperature increase is 1.5 (absolute), you could get to 220 psi.

Somewhere in that empty space that was my brain I remember PV=nRT, which describes the relationship.

Folks with a better memory than mine may be able to flush out the details.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******

The calculation and thought process is correct Don. You could see a temp rise of 1.5 if he is doing a test on a hot engine and it's a cool day, maybe even more. But for a 10:1 engine you should be at about 150 psi. I would do the test with a cool engine and if you're still getting these high numbers I would look at trying a different gauge.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

The 110 cylinder has a bad piston noteable for those engines. Most problems occur from the engine not warming up and the gas getting mixed by blow by into the crankcase oil.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Let's see, a 1.5L car engine?? Must be wound pretty tight just to move a car. Highly fueled, turbo'd engine has low compression in ONE cylinder?? Piston has a hole burned in it. Possibly due to clogged injector not producing a good spray pattern.

Unless the rings are bad, doesn't really make any diff how fast the piston is moving while making compression.

BTW, my UTV has a 1.0L engine and the whole rig weighs only 800#. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to put a lawnmower engine in a car?

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

There are alot of successful cars out there with a 1.5 liter motor.

The old Nash Metropolitan, older VW Beetle. More modern; Mazda Miata, Chevy Malibu and Honda Civics, to name a few

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

It's not really a 'car' if you have to snug up the laces after getting in.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Well the head and pan is off. Pistons are out and #1 has a 1/4" hole through it at the middle of the group of ring glands. That may be the reason for low compression. I'm surprised it had any at all! I was surprised that the pistons were $100.00 ea but when I got them they came assembled with rings and rods. Now I'm thinking that the compression numbers were the result of a bad gauge. Take about 100 psi of the original numbers and I can believe it.

It's too late for me, save yourself.