In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Optima Batteries

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭

My Tundra needs a new battery.I will probably keep the truck forever,A new Optima Red Top battery is $259. plus tax. Are these batteries worth the extra cost?

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭

To someone. Don

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of youtube vids about them, and they range from high praise to utter damnation. I was going to put one in my Highlander a while back, but decided against it based on the disparity of comments. They're a bit cheaper at Costco, if you're near one, BUT that's where a lot of the poor comments say they got theirs, so maybe the Costco ones are of lower quality as well as price.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

im content with getting 5yrs out of a Wal-Mart battery for their price point, about $135.00 replace them at about the 5yr point and get a new one. also if anything goes wrong you are usually within 30miles of a wal mart anywhere in the conus.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭

I've had really good luck with Delco batteries. Always got at least five years.

Motorcraft and Interstate I've tried without as much success.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin

I put two Optima marine starting batteries in my 1994 Ford diesel pickup in 2015. They are still going strong, although about that time they started making them in Mexico. Lots of complaints about them after that. One thing that AGM batteries don't like is high voltage charging. Optima says no more than 14.2 volts. Many charging systems run about 14.6 volts, but the real killer is battery chargers. Many battery chargers can go over 15 volts.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

my sosn used them in his project cars

as for me no real experience

I will add I am sure he gets them free. but Jay leno has them in all his cars he says they dont leak or give off the gas to harm the cars and hold up well in long term storage , take it for what its worth but he seems to be a honest car loving guy and seems to be truthful

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Interstate. In my cars, trucks, tractors, etc. Just keep them charged up and they go for 8 years plus.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭

Here in the Cross Timbers area of Texas, where summers can get pretty dang hot and sometimes pretty cool, I usually only get about three years out of a battery(the last one "shorted" at a gas station......could NOT be jump-started).

I'm curious.......my fellow Texicans......how long do your batteries last?

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭

I have a battery in it now that came from Sams Club that lasted 8 years.May just do that again.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

I would guess as for me here in Ohio, I average three to five years 6 years is a stretch and the battery's need replaced

But nothing fancy most have been just the Walmart or farm store variety

I keep a battery tender on our old 8n tractor and on my old camaro

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I replace batteries after 3 yrs regardless. They can be used elsewhere or given away to folks that need one

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

I don't believe I've ever had an optima battery, I usually just buy the one that is mid-priced if there is several choices. 62vld2042 to answer your question, in Wise county just north of Fort Worth my batteries last 3-5 years in daily drivers, low end of that range for tractors, lawnmowers and motorcycles...

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭

Aren't you just suppose to replace the vehicle when the battery dies? Or is it you replace the vehicle when the ashtray gets full? I get those two mixed up.🙃

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭

I buy batteries at NAPA. I get the most cranking amp battery that will fit the vehicle. Replace them every five years.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I've had good luck with Napa batteries.

A good NAPA parts guy can cross reference your Toyota bat to a NAPA bettery replacement.