In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 days to go

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

I'm down to the final 30 days left with the shipyard. 20 years/7 months plus 20 years of Navy is enough. Cashing out/popping smoke/retiring or whatever you want to call it..............I'm done.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

congratulations

its such a small word to cover all you have done to get this point but the meaning is the same

I retired over seven years ago from my last work place of 25.5 years I do not miss any of it

hope you have a long and fun filled retirement

my plans were changed well added on to about a week after I was enjoying my found freedom 😎

in the wife 😍 rolled out a 40 year + honey due list 😁 I had to get caught up on

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Welcome to the ranks of the gainfully unemployed.

When I retired 10+ years ago, it took me about a year to get acclimated. I still got up at the same old going to work time and maintained a fairly regimented lifestyle. Now I go to bed when I am tired and get up when I'm not - no matter what time it is. Stuff that I had to hurry and get done on my day off now gets done when I get around to it. No pressure, no deadlines and no barely tolerable co-workers and customers. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have mine. Bob

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,086 ✭✭✭✭

Short Timer. Keep your head down and use up all your sick days since they won't cash those out.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Yblock. I pulled the plug in April of '21 and highly recommend it.

Thank you for your time in the service!

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

I retired 7 years ago after paying into SS for 51 years , they sure don't want to give much back

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, a year from now you will wonder how you ever had time for work in the first place.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin

Congrats to you!! Enjoy your retirement.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******

Congratulations!

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Which shipyard ?

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been lucky enough to put 22 years behind me, good retirement.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******

Congrats to you

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy retirement

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭

I retired after 42 years on the railroad, been retired now over 12 years. After six months of retirement I thought I was going to have to get another job so I could get some rest, but that’s what happens when you put things off for twenty years or so around the farm LOL. Your going to enjoy it, secret is not to just sit around on the back porch but stay active. Congratulations.

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Good luck. Retirement is good.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭

congrats and enjoy

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

go ahead and use up the medical insurance also, if you have good insurance, especially dental. will be cheaper now than later,...........

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Congrads on your retirement. Make sure you purchase the best health insurance you can get no matter how much it cost because there's going to be a time that most likely you'll wished you did.

I retired 8 years ago next month. My insurance paid 80 percent of the hospital bills for my wife's 2 years of hospital stays and cancer treatment before she died. That $400,000 worth of bills it didn't pay could put someone unprepared standing at the entrance of a Walmart welcoming people as they come in. I didn't get to that point because I had everything paid off before I retired but it sure did kick a big dent in my retirement funds. Lets just say I won't be buying that new Corvette I once had my eye on anytime soon.

• Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

PSNS (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard) I work(ed) in shop 38 as a Marine Machinery Mechanic.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

LOL I have to add this in and I am sure I am not alone

now I thought about it . for at least two years . I would wake up and have that OMG moment 😲 I am late for work . a few seconds and reality would come into play you old dummy go back to sleep 😁 and flip side I would be working out side or on a project it would be getting dark and or late and I think oh crap 😣I got to get to bed so I can get up early and go to work .. again a few seconds later my mind would say your nuttier that a frut cake just get back to work . 🙄

but minor issues compared to actually having to do it every day

any way congrats

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Im at 50 days and counting until retirement . 44 yrs of boat repair 20 of those owning my own shop. I have a retirement property going to be busy having a house built.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******

Congrats! Are you going to stay in Seabeck or that general vicinity?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain