In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

another DRT close to home

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

from the article ..

During the 911 call, the stepson said his stepfather, identified as Lee Brokaw, told him and his younger sister that it was their turn to die, Dodds said.

“He walked in and pointed the gun at me and my sister and he told us both to get on our knees,” the stepson told 911. “He pointed the gun at our heads and then my mom came up behind him and tried to wrestle him — he threw the gun on the ground.”

Out of fear for his safety as well as his family’s safety, he shot the man, the sheriff said.

“I had to stop him. I had to protect my family,” the stepson said in the 911 call. “I couldn’t allow him to do anything to them. My family means everything to me.”

Deputies did find the dead man in the home, Dodds said, noting that his deputies have responded to the address “numerous times. . . a handful of times” and most have involved the stepfather, be it for domestic or issues the neighbors were having with him.

Comments

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a just ending to a bad story to me.

Good on the kid.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

yep good for the kid, just sorry he had to do it, and live with it from now on.......

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

We had a similar deal here a couple years ago. There was a rural family fight and the step-father was choking the mother. The 14 year old got a 20 ga. shotgun with a deer slug and fired when he got a clear shot. Step-father was DOA at the local hospital. The incident was completely hushed up; no coverage by the local paper, no mention on the Sheriff's Office website, nothing. All I heard were vague rumors until I talked to a neighbor who knew what happened. It was just viewed as a personal family tragedy that was no one else's business.

The mom met the guy on the internet and they were soon married. He was from Tennessee and this happened in Iowa. Nobody around here knew him. I found out his name and looked at his Facebook account; his friends were lamenting his 'unexpected death' but did not seem to be surprised.