In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sept 01 1864

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

Sherman is burning Atlanta. as much as i dislike what that little Buckeye did, i have to admit he understood what war was about. Sherman wrote: You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

The South should have burned Washington.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

No such thing as a 'nice' war. It is killing and destruction.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

The Union "brought war into our country..."

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

I am from Atlanta. We don't like Sherman.

I lived in Milledgeville Ga. for 20 years. Milledgeville was the state capital in 1864, and Sherman came through. Did not burn the town.

Yankee troops went in to the State Legislature building, got drunk and had a mock meeting of the Georgia Legislature, and they voted to repeal the Act of Secession. Pretty good sense of humor I must admit.

In 1985 my buddy was running a metal detector in a garden downtown, one block from that legislature building, he found a brass button from a Massachusetts soldier. It featured a horse rearing up. Lost on Nov. 22 or 23rd, 1864.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

From Billie Boy, "To make the Rebels understand, you have to make them bleed". My ancestors burned Richmond rather than give it away. Native Son of Richmond -----Ray

By the way the Renaming Committee has picked half a million $ of the Confederacy to be wiped clean from West Point and around $27,000 from the Naval Academy. Lee is everywhere at the Point. They plucked him from Monument Avenue in Richmond. When will this BS ever end?

Don't think they will remove Battle Monument at Trophy Point. (A tribute to the marksmanship of the Confederate Army)

Miss so many that were so knowledgeable about this subject here on the "Forum"

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

The Union, under Lincoln, started the war and conducted nearly all of it in the South. Then after it was over, they heaped all sorts of agony on the Southern States for decades.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a native Georgian with lots of Southern veterans in my line ( own some British land grant property too, original deed has shredded/worn ribbon and the Kings signature & wax seal ). Sometimes now when I travel around downtown Atlanta and some of the suburban areas I think, where the Hell is Sherman now. And yes Sherman was right, war is a cruel endeavor as many of us have witnessed first hand. Agree or disagree I think with all our rights, wrongs, good & bad we're better off as one nation.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

The common folks on either side didn't want that war. Like all wars it's the politicians and the people with the money in power that start the wars and it's the common people that are dragged into it that pay for it with their blood.

No need to discuss it anymore it is what it is and nothing will change it.

I can guarantee you one thing though. If I had an arm load of news papers from the day after the election in 2008 that showed what happened to this country after the north won the war to take back and hand out at the Union recruiting stations in 1861 there would not have been enough men signing up to even field a Union Army.

edited September 2022

The Oconee River flows through Milledgeville. One day in 1985 I was driving across the bridge. I saw 2 RVs parked along the shore, and some guys were down there with scuba gear. The river is only 8 feet deep. I went down to investigate.

It turned out that when Sherman occupied the town, his troops entered the State Armory. They collected a wagon load of artillery shells. They drove the wagon to the middle of the old bridge, and dumped the shells into the river. These guys had done the research and had learned that there were 455 of these shells on the bottom of the river.

They had already collected 150 shells and were determined to recover every one of them. They told me that one shell was going for $600. These shells looked like a big bullet. They were 3 inches diameter and about 6 inches long. A quarter million dollars worth of Civil War relics there in the mud of the Oconee River.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

"where the Hell is Sherman now"

In Hell, burning! Aint that some irony!