In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Things have changed, just a little ,,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭

Watch till the end re ‘welfare’ ,,,,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9H0h-WV5No

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

my grampa had a neighbor looked and talked close enough to be a twin to that fellow. He never had what you would call a real job, he just wheeled and dealed, traded and made enough things to make a living, he may not have been rich, but he was happy........

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

That feller sure went thru a lot of trouble for something he coulda' just got off of Amazon.com .

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

He looks like my grandad.Thin,raw boned in a pair of bib overalls.

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Wow, that was impressive. Stories like these are great. It seems like now days, all we get is stories of drugs or shootings.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭

Fantastic! Making home made sleds.

In these same mountains, here where I live, a hundred years ago my house site on top of the mountain was a corn field. The lady who lived here back then, told me that in 1925, her family came to the mountain top with a sled with hickory runners, pulled by 2 oxen, and they harvested corn in that sled.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭

In Louisa County, Central Virginia, Grandpa use to make his own sleds out of Hickory. Don't believe he ever sold any. I use to go and help him load sawmill slabs on the sled to burn in kitchen and pot belly stove in living room. He also made the single trees that you hook to the front of a plow and the curved tongs ? that rested on each side of horse and hooked to wagon. He made everthing on the wagon by hand except the frame.

I guess I was around 9 or 10 and we piled a lot of slabs on that sled. It was hard work for his horse Maggie to pull that sled and seems like we stopped about every couple hundred yards to give Maggie a rest.

He had a huge circular saw that Uncle Jake ran a large belt from the tractor to and cut up the slabs. Several times he had chimney fires because pine was mixed in with the slabs. Very scary. There were four fireplaces in the old farm house.

In the late forties/early fifties a lot of sawmilling in Central Virginia and Grandpa always picked a sawmill that was close by.------------------------------------Ray

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭

That was a great video, thanks for posting it.

Sure is a different mindset today, I sure miss the world the way it was.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

made a livin anyway

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Those mens like that got no need no govment.😐️

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Check out the Foxfire series of books . How to's on building sleds ,wagons ,water wheels etc .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Foxfire is a good read. How it was many years ago.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

I just have an old copy of Foxfire 5 and it is pretty worn out from all my carousing! I know several of the "players" in that book.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Although I am in the eastern part of NC , I was familiar with a lot of the things shown in the books . Many of the older adults during my childhood would have fitted right in with the mountain folk ,same kind of self reliance attitude .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

The Welfare man had no clue about the hooch .