In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

September 2nd 1945 - Japan's Surrender on board the USS Missouri

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

Since no one else has mentioned it - I will do that now.

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Steve, I was just thinking of this. I was recently given a type 99 rifle & a wakizashi sword from the estate of a friend who served with the Marines in the Pacific. Quite an ordeal.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Poor guys had to suffer though another one of McArthur's speeches that day. That guy was so dramatic it would make you want to shoot yourself just watching a replay of his speeches waiting on him to finally get the words out. Olddddd.......soldiers.........never........die.........they.......just.........................................faaaaaade.....................away. Congress members had already started applauding during one of his big pauses during that speech thinking it was finally over. His posing for the cameras was comical along with his sunglasses and that corncob pipe of his and that black died hair.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

I can not imagine the joy of countless military and the families knowing it was finally over and they got to back home

I also morn the untold millions that war took it all from or a big piece of their life in pain and memories for the rest of it

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I have utmost respect for the Marines,Sailors and Soldiers that were island hopping in the Pacific.My dad was on a destroyer and one uncles was a SeaBee.The one that was a SeaBee never talked much about it until later in life.He said when the Marines lost a certain amount of men,the Seabees were put in Marine units as replacements.They were all a tough lot.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭

The ceremony should have been held on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise to honor the ship that did more than any other to defeat the Japanese.

A sad political decision by shallow little men designed to curry favor with a shallow pathetic little man in the White House.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

It was one of the most happiest days my Mom and her family could remember. She's 92 and remembers it very well. My dad was to young for the war but all 3 of his brothers survived it and his Mom my grandma was one of the most relieved person's on earth when it was finally over and she had all her boys home. So many boys just out of high school had never been off the farm gave their all in that war as they have in so many other wars. It's sad that so few people give them the recognition they deserve.

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

My dad was there!

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting that one of the Japanese officers has a set of spurs on in that photograph.

Will have to do some research, didn’t realize they had cavalrymen .

Mule

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

77 years. It's time to turn Japan loose on the rest of Asia.

• Options

Normally it would be about time for Germany to be paying their neighbors in Poland a visit. They're just running a little late this time I guess.