In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spacex launch

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

Rocky, the lad announcing the launch should contact you for some coaching or go back to announcing blue light specials at Kmart

Maybe I’m biased, but yours sounded so much more professional.

Mule

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

Well NASA maybe better at talking, but Space X is definitely better at executing.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Very early on in their launch business, I wrote them with suggestions on how to improve their commentary. Even semi-offered to do it for them. As with everything else at SpaceX, they preferred to do it their own way. I don't know how they pick the people they use for the commentaries, but some are much better at it than others.

I do wish they'd vary the script a bit. I'd like to hear them explain things like Max Q and maybe give a few more of what I called "gee whiz" numbers.

Thanks for the compliment, mule.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

You set an awfully high bar for these kids to try and get over, Rocky. I remember all these years later hearing your voice as you talked about the launches. I agree with our friend Mr. Mule, their 'countdown kid' could use some coaching.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

At the rate they're going Elon may be waving at Artemis from his Lunar driveway when it finally gets to the Moon!

• Options

I'm quite sure that SpaceX treats the commentary as the lowest priority thing about the launches - and rightly so, I might say. The video they provide is always exciting and amazing, but it's the delivery of things to orbit that matters. They do that better than anyone else on the planet. They've had 40 launches in just over eight months this year, an untouchable rate. And no failures for several years now.

When I was at NASA, there were discussions about the possible landing and reuse of boosters, and the general response by all the top engineers was always "Bwahahaha!". Neither possible nor feasible, they laughed. They're not laughing today.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited September 2022

"When I was at NASA, there were discussions about the possible landing and reuse of boosters, and the general response by all the top engineers was always "Bwahahaha!". Neither possible nor feasible, they laughed. They're not laughing today."

That's the difference between private enterprise doing something, and the Gov't doing it. Nowhere in ANY government doings is there any drive to save money.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

NASA has done everything to where the space program is today. NASA landed on the moon and Elon wasn't born yet

• Options

The reverse of that coin is that NASA has not flown a vehicle in 11 years, and the one they are trying to launch uses 1970s technology. In the half century since the moon landings, they've become like any other bureaucracy: stolid, self-protective, and run by committees.

• Options

No disagreeing on that.

• Options

I would like to see the pay scale of his employees vs NASA's. He recruited highly educated folks.. some could be old NASA employees..

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I’ll tell you for a fact, NASA isn’t the recruiting powerhouse it once was. In principle- they don’t make anything today, they don’t design anything today. They are simply program managers. These are people trained to avoid risk, not take risk.

NASA- 46 open reqs-

SPACEX - dozens or hundreds:

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I've been wondering my they don't just hire Elon and get the job done quick and easy. Rocky, what is your opinion of my thought?? I'm guessing that your opinion on a NASA question is about as good as it could get.

• Options

NASA has hired SpaceX. That's how we now get astronauts to the Space Station. And SpaceX is on contract to provide the lander to get astronauts from a lunar orbiting station to the surface. Other people are already asking the question, "If we're using SpaceX to fly a vehicle to the moon just to carry astronauts to the surface, why not just fly them there on that same vehicle?"

As soon as Musk gets his massive Mars rocket up and flying, that question is going to be asked a lot harder.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Elon's moon rocket is not looking promising at all. I think it's overated and going to the moon with a manned mission does what for the bottom line for either The government or Space X other than convincing investors to invest! 😁

serf

Here's the latest hype!

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-super-heavy-raptor-testing-round-3/

Building ~1000 Starships to create a self-sustaining city on Mars is our mission,” Musk said in December 2020. Since 2019, the company has conducted multiple high-altitude flight tests with Starship prototypes at the Starbase facility in Boca Chica Beach. Engineers target to perform the first test flight to orbit before this year ends. To propel Starship to space SpaceX will use a gigantic Super Heavy rocket booster which has not been test launched yet. The rocket is set to become the world’s most powerful rocket, right next to the retired Saturn V rocket that propelled astronauts to the Moon during the Apollo program.