In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Electricity for automobiles

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Well great. I can refuel my pickup in less than 5 minutes and be on my way. If I have to add 40 minutes to every 300 miles I drive, I'm not using that method of transportation.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

It's not surprising to anyone... or shouldn't be. Electric motors have the maximum torque at 0 rpm. Fast starts are calk walks. The hard part truly is designing the vehicle so thing doesn't rip apart off the starting line.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,041 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

The engineers have done a fine job with their controls and transmission.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

" I can refuel my pickup in less than 5 minutes and be on my way. If I have to add 40 minutes to every 300 miles I drive, I'm not using that method of transportation."

I couldn't agree more. As great a car as it is for short trips, the Tesla is unfit for long trips.

Furthermore:

"2022 Tesla Model S Plaid/Range

396 mi battery-only"

I don't believe that for a second. My brother was told 2 years ago that his new Tesla had a range of 310 miles. And it did, IF you charge the battery all the way, and IF it is a cloudy 68 degree day and you are running neither a/c or heat.

BUT if you always charge the battery all the way you will fatally damage the battery. So. brother only charges to 80 percent, as all rational Tesla owners do. So on a good day he has a range of 240 miles. Throw in a/c on a 90 degree day, you get 140 miles max.

The car is no good for long trips but it is great for trips around town.

If you don't like the Tesla then please don't buy one, it won't hurt my feelings. I am just giving real world data on a Tesla that I frequently ride around in. Elon Musk is doing something right, I read that in a few years Tesla will be the number one selling vehicle in the world.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******

If they'd get the price down to under $30,000 I'd buy a Tesla. I never go anywhere what I can't get home in the same day.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

What worries me about all you nay-sayers about electric motion of vehicles is you forget the unlimited power of Fairy dust and Unicorn farts. Those two items alone are enough to power the Universe Forever.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,041 ✭✭✭✭