In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 Build Jig

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

I have decided to build a AR-15 from an 80% receiver. I have a Bridgeport mill and some experience running it. Do you guys have a suggestion on a brand of jig kit?

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options

I forgot to add the word "jig".

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

My youngest son did one or two but I do not remember the name of the fixture I would guess there all about the same his was made out of aluminum but I have seen plastic also

if you have a mill you already way ahead of the fellow with a vise and drill or even a drill press

I just never got the bug to do one I thought about it but finished loweres were 40 to 60 dollars every where

the cost of the 80% and the fixture even in kit form just did not add up .

but good luck my sons turned out nice and I am sure thousands more have been made by DIY with a little tool experience

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭

I'd get the jig from the same manufacture as the 80%.

Oh that reminds me make sure the 80% fit the jig. I think those with the flaired magwells won't fit?

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Jeff, if you have a mill as stated you would need a jig designed for the type of mill you have... most of the diy jigs are for use with a router or the cheaper ones are for a simple drill press. I tried using a cheap Anderson jig with a drill press and although I got a functional lower, it looked like crap, I ended up buying the router jig from 80percent arms which included a small router and one of their lowers, I was able to clean up my original ugly one with it and made 4 additional nice looking lowers from Anderson 80% raw lowers I had. Then I made the lower from 80% arms that came with the jig kit. The Anderson's are harder aluminum 7075 and the other easier to cut 6061 from 80percent arms. I have 5 additional 6061s I got from 5D Tactical yet to do which are also 6061 the jig is called Easy Jig gen 3 for use with AR-15, AR-10 & AR-9. It works great you just have to take it easy and use a good cutting fluid and buy some extra bits (tooling) because they can and will break if you push too hard. It is not cost effective at all, but I have enjoyed doing it, so worth it to me.

• Options

Thanks Ruger4me. I assume that I won't get a print along with the kit. If I had a print the job would be easy with my digital readout.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

" I ended up buying the router jig from 80percent arms "

I recommend this one^^^^ although I chose to buy a RIDGID router instead of the one they offer.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Well, I downloaded a how-too using a mill by Ray-Vin but it is more geared to a build with only the bare shape and cuts on the receiver. Not at all like a 80% where most of the features are already done. Granted, with a mill w/ DRO this has a everything you need once things are aligned in x&y and a zero is determined. At this point I think I'll just buy an Anderson jig (my 80% is Anderson) and just use the mill to ensure my holes are normal to the cut surface.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

" I think I'll just buy an Anderson jig (my 80% is Anderson)"

I don't know what the 'Anderson jig' uses to index. The 80% jig uses the front pivot pin and the buffer tube threads.

I've run 4 or 5 brands of lower through the 80% and found that not all the starter cuts ahead of the buffer tube boss are cut true to centerline. The great thing about the 80% jig is this cut isn't required to start from although it does make getting started easier.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Jeff, I can give you and Anderson Jig if you want it, I wasn't happy with it and a simple drill press but it may be OK with using an actual mill. Let me know and I will send it to you.

• Options

PM sent Ruger4me.

Thanks