In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

The link works for me

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭

Link doesn't work

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Probably old info for many........but many years ago it was said that it took more BTUs contained in one gallon of "real" gasoline.........to create one gallon of ethanol.

I wonder if "they" have ever solved that little problem.

I doubt it.........but they will go to their graves assuring everyone they have.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭

Don, your comments reminded me of a day one little task our teacher in Statistics did. He gave each person in the class a single piece of paper, probably 3/4 full of various numbers and groups and such. Then, he broke us off into small groups and asked each of us to prove our point. My topic was to prove that 18-25 year old males were the safest drivers. We all know that is the least safe group. However, using just the data provided we were able to prove (from my memories from ~30 years ago) that married men, with 2 children, with military service were indeed the safest group. At least from the statistics provided.

After that, he said you have just learned one of the most valuable lessons in statistics, and maybe of your college career. You can largely prove anything based on available information. It is all how you parse out the desirable aspects to fit your narrative.

Indeed that has proven quite true.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

Harvest corn, corn/water in vat 2 weeks , heat to 183 degrees, simmer off the ethanol. truck to oil refinery. mix , truck to gas station. cause fuel pump problems.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Harvest corn, corn/water in vat 2 weeks , heat to 183 degrees, draw off the liquid in gallon jugs. Enjoy.

• tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭

Yep but despite it using more gas to produce than it actually creates in ethanol, Biden increased the ethanol percentage. And ethanol doesn’t have the energy per gallon of gas. It’s not about the climate

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Combustion of Ethanol:

C2H5OH + 3O2 --> 2CO2 + 3H2O

Combustion of Gasoline:

C8H18 + 12.5O8 --> 8CO2 + 9H20

If the amount of energy produced was the same, gasoline would produce 4 times the CO2.

It's not though. So you have to burn more Ethanol. How much more? Well, let's look at the energy of combustion:

Ethanol: 1366.8 kJ/mol

Gasoline: 5461 kJ/mol

My public school education tells me that's ... 4 times as much.

So, from a purely CO2 production stand point they're exactly the same. After that you get into the wrangling about what it takes to produce the fuel, economics of having to cart around 4x the amount of fuel to get from A to B and so forth.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain