In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rewatching "Star Trek: Discovery"

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭

I got the three season collection a while back and I just watched it initially to make sure the discs played. Was not a fan of this spin. Space Mushroom Drive silliness (someone was snacking on them when they came up with this), re-hashing the old playbook (Mirror, Mirror) real early then bringing in a spin off right off the bat (kind a more interested on Captain Pike story), like they used "Discovery" to test market "Strange New World". Like they knew it was going to fail.

Basically they complained about this with "Enterprise" and they just re-did what they complained about. Like they didn't learn or they thought spinning the "girl power" would excuse them. You'd think they got the battle of the sexes solved but then again in Kirk's time the black lady was still answering the space phone (on Discovery the brotha man's the phone guy).

Then you got their version of search for Spock in the show because the show was desperate? Oh I just looked on IMDB they got two more seasons? Granted them thrown into the future bit (season 3) is interesting but I'd like to have seen how Enterprise was built.

The Klingon bit was interesting but I still fast forward alot. At least one good thing came about this hot garbage Captain Pike's Enterprise. Looking forward to that collection of DVDs (I hope they put it out on DVD).

Comments

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭

The original 1960s Star Trek was the best. When they switched from 'where no man has gone before', to 'where no one has gone before', with Star Trek Next Generation, you could already see where they were starting to go woke. They filled up the bridge with diversity and included psychologists, and whatever Whoopi played. You could tell then that the series was nose-diving into political correctness.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Star Trek is officially woke and re-tired with liberalism ,Capt Picard needs to leave and drift off to the sunset, he is done for that series.I would not pay paramount a penny to watch it.

serf

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Yosh..........you must be really desperate for things to watch.

• Options

chris8X57 - Beg to differ I like "Enterprise" for the shows. Only thing original had was "Bones" Vulcan bashing and introducing KAHN!!! I half watched Next Gen but gave up early since I didn't like Picard (too pretentious) and the firing of the ladies.

Saw even less of "Deep Space" what was that a knock off of "Babylon 5"? I do remember the chick with the dots framing her face but was about it.

Tried watching "Voyager" but hearing Mrs. Columbo's man voice just creeped me out.

mohawk600 - I am and I want to get my monies worth.

Now if there was such a thing as Space Whale (gormagander) existed out in space one would think when they land the silly thing in the cargo bay it would die, right? Floating around in space then taken in to air rich environment the shock alone would kill it.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

maybe just me

I was truly a big fan of the show when I was a young fellow my dad thought it was a wase of time

the original show had a huge diversity of ethnic groups think about all the main characters on deck , but they did so as the future we would have all settled our problem on earth . and moved on to solve the universe issues .

it was understated not rubbed in our face 24/7 do any one you ever remember at the time of the original showing , the producers or network bragging about having all the different groups portrayed, even I think and has been promoted now was the first interracial kiss on national TV . even most of the aliens were treated with respect no matter what they looked like or there culture ( exception of the violent ones of course all shows had have to have good vs Evel so good would win out

I was a bit jealous 🤨 actually even a s kid I always felt captain Kirk went well beyond being kind to so many aliens the women especially 😍 even if they happened to be green that color issue was irrelevant, he was willing to give a demonstration of good old earth mating rituals 😁 to all the willing aliens

I have to wonder if "Bones " ever said Jim keep it in your paints my god man I am just a doctor I cant cure every thing you may get on these hookups LOL

i did watch some of the later shows but not as much

I will say the producers still found some nice looking women to keep the shows interesting

seven of nine example

but I still have a fondness for the original show and apparently so did Kirk and Spock 😛

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

Ditch-Runner, it took me several seconds to decide between hitting the like or the LOL button on your post! I hit like only because someone had already hit it.

Back when the original series first came out, IMMIC there was a problem at my house between what was watched between the 3 channels we were getting. I wanted to watch Star Trek but my younger siblings cried to see Lost In Space. All that crying put the dial on the TV in their favor. I did finally get to see Star Trek some years later in reruns and did enjoy it quite a bit. As for the spin-offs, not much of a fan. I did like a few of the movies with Capt. Kirk and Spock however.

• Options

Movies the original cast was best.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

I liked "Captain Video & His Video Rangers".😎