In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How did I miss that shot?!?!

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭

Poop! The squirrels are gone and now the 'yotes are getting a little too curious about my wife's chickens. I had one this morning at 50 yards, broadside and standing still, and put it right under him! This was with my 270 that I used to pretty much never miss with. I haven't shot it much in the last 4 years or so, I wonder if I'm that rusty or if the scope got banged around in the move? I'm kinda bettin' it was the jerk on the trigger and not a scope issue...

Comments

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

I think you're telling the story wrong, you had him dead to rights, then decided to just warn him off...😂

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe you should have stuck with your Glock.....

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Shotgun.. and if a chicken or two were in the way they made it for supper.

• Options

Coyotes are probably getting hungry Steve. We've had quite a few bear sightings, both black and grizzly sightings near, or in town recently. The berry crop has been poor this year, along with the fires making it tough on the critters.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I guess there is buck fever, but I never heard of yote fever !! 😜

Lots of yotes running around out there in my neck of the woods. They have been hanging out in the crop fields or hayfield. In a month or less, those will all be harvested it and I intend to see what I can do to thin them out again...

• Options

Yep, the 'yotes are having to start workin' for it some. I haven't seen a ground squirrel in a couple weeks now. One day it was like they just went to ground and decided to stay there.

I should have grabbed the M2 Benelli stuffed with 00, probably would have gotten him with a 10' wide pattern! LOL!

We have a fella across the way here that has put in a small egg operation. He's probably got 400 chickens penned up over there. I'm sure it won't be long before one of the local black bruins decides that's gonna be some pretty tender vittles.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******

Maybe you and Bruce suffer from the same eye condition.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

Heard a new world record of over 4 miles was just accomplished. I believe the target size was 4'X8'.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I think that 4 mile shot was after 60 plus attempts.

Missed a yote once a long time ago.

I had just put a kill shot on a big buck at about 275 yards, 7mm mag, drt.

I was in a ground blind and as I looked around behind me there were two yotes facing me at close to 200 yards just sitting waiting for a free meal. I sure ain't the best shot but the ole remington 700 has been on many a hunt since 55 years ago, rarely ever misses what it shoots at. Good aim and rest, pow, recover from shot and no song dog. All I can figure at that distance the yote saw the flash and jumped. Shot was just as sun set so I am sure the blast was visible. Now 3000 fps is fast but it don't take much time for critter to scoot. Just a theory, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

• Options

Damn Randy, I feel bad, and it probably wasn't PC, but can't help but LMAO at that one....

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe you made the shot but being so close the bullet just went through like a "laser" and died later?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Buck fever (coyote style). Happens to me more often than I like to admit. Son commented once "You would never miss a deer on a shot like that. How did you miss the coyote?" I just shrugged and said "Buck fever. Didn't you see the size of that rack?"

I've killed 3 coyote pups this summer while checking crops (2 with the 10-22 and 1 with 17HMR). Surprisingly, it was 'all business' which is good since a coyote pup doesn't offer a very large target.

It's a good thought, but animals can't duck a bullet.

• Options

I checked. No blood, no hair, no nothin'. Just a gone-in-a-flash song dog.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

Always blame the scope when you miss.I have been doing that for years.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

I must just be superstitious. Every time I miss something, my first thought is; "It wasn't his day to die"

That thought always exempts me from the probable TRUTH! 😁

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Shot low? Anticipation of recoil will do that. Some folks call it flinching whilst jerking the guts out of the trigger. If not that, I would blame the eyeball and get to the eye doc right away.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

You guys sure aren't very good with believable excuses. This is my new one for the "rare" occasions I miss;

This is the NASA map of earth's gravitational anomalies. If I miss it is gravity's fault! That's my story and I am sticking to it.😁 Bob

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭

Wife missed a bear Sunday. Perfect shot, no explanation, she just missed it. Model 70 Featherweight 7MM Mauser, 120 yards from a rest, bear was walking broadside. Rifle sighted in just before season. No excuse...............??????????????

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭

Just blame it on the gun.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

"Animal can't dodge a bullet"

Why, when I lived in rattler country, I used to carry a .45. Handloads with a REAL heavy slow bullet. If I shot at a rattler, all I needed was to come close, He'd see that bullet coming towards him, try to strike at the bullet, and lose his head right there.

And I can prove it. I've got a photo of the brass. 😘

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"I'm kinda bettin' it was the jerk on the trigger and not a scope issue..."

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I resent that comment Neo/Steve.

I am only dragged around by dogs. 😁

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Best to be "what the cat dragged in" than what the cat covered up.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭

I know your comment is in jest, but I just have to share... I had a Remington 700 BDL SS DM in .300 WM with Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14 x 50 scope on it. I would miss my first shot. It did this every season and this went on for a few years. Then, after I'd miss, I'd verify zero and it would have moved. One year, it moved by 18". I used this gun for deer hunting only. I used it, took it home, gently cleaned it, put it in the safe and it sat there until next year. No kids, my wife doesn't mess with it, etc. On year 4, I finally remembered to test before season. Once again, it had moved, over 12". I zeroed it. The rest of the season, it didn't move at all and I took 3 deer. In the off season, I sent the scope to Leupold for them to check it out. They said they put it on their "paint shaker" as they called it, refilled the nitrogen, and sent it back with no issues found. I went ahead and replaced the rings and mounts at the same time as well (again with 2 piece Leupold mounts), re-torqued them properly, then rezero'd. Next fall, pulled it out. I sighted it in just before season; 16" off. I zeroed again and took 3 more deer.

By now, I had bought a 700 Titanium and didn't like detachable mag for deer hunting so I sold that rifle. I put that same scope and mounts on that 700 Ti. 13 years later, up and down the rocky mountains elk and pronghorn hunting, plus every rifle deer season and it has not budged at all. There was SOMETHING about that rifle. It about had to be the barrel to receiver fit since I didn't take it out of the stock unless it was soaked. Just last year I finally took that scope off and moved it down to my 700 LVSF .243 for my light varmint hunting and bought a new VX-6 for the Ti. This remains one of those things I just can't quite explain in spite of spending a lot of time fiddling with it over that period (much more than I wrote).

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe in the off season, while sitting in the safe, the moisture content, through the seasons, changed enough in the stock to affect the point of impact.

I have never "free floated" a barrel or "glass bedded" a receiver on one of my rifles...........that might have been the solution though.