In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cannon Fodder

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭

Soon Russian recruits will become Cannon Fodder. I recall somewhere in the back of my mind young recruits were pressed into battle with nothing but clubs to face machine gun fire. They were told "Kill the enemy and take his weapon". Was that the Siege of Leningrad? Any one remember? ----------------Ray

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭

In the movie "Enemy at the Gates" every other solider was given a rifle...the unlucky ones were suppose to pick up one from a fallen comrade.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

It was all along the eastern front for much of the war. Supposedly.

History, however, is what was written and not always what occurred.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

If you recall from the movie "We Were Soldiers", The lt. colonel told the sergeant major that he ought to check out an M16. The SM said, "If I need one, there will be plenty of 'em laying around!"

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

A co-worker and I were discussing this very thing this morning at work.

We thought it might have been during WW I. I just checked Wicki............and in WW I, Russia entered the war with 5 million soldiers but only had an inventory of 4.6 M rifles...................so pair up two soldiers and when the rifle bearer gets shot the other picks up the rifle and fights on...........or just send the unarmed troops behind the charge.....and they get to pick up the arms of their fallen comrades.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Fact of the matter is that even if Russia "conscripts" an additional 300,000 troops...............they cannot equip them right now. For Christ's sake.......Russia has been buying drones from Iran..........China won't supply them..........or back their effort anymore.

Putin has exhausted all of his resources. They (Russia) have now closed off the borders and won't let men 18-35 leave the country. Finland won't let anymore Russians into it's country on tourist visas because they don't want to upset the political balance of NATO.

Russia tried this once in Afghanistan and failed.

• Options
    edited September 2022

mohawk600, I think you are probably correct. No clubs, the unarmed troops were behind the charge. I wonder when the wives, parents and relatives in Russia will say enough in mass. The stingers, ambushes on mountain passes in Afghanistan took a heavy toll. By most accounts I think Putin has already wasted 80,000 troops. Desperate men do desperate things. I was on Red Alert back in the day and i think Putin is crazier than Nikita---------Ray

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭

I say we volunteer ( OK force ) all the people we have in jail and prison and parole to go fight for both sides they can choose that part 😁

make it part of the punishment break the law and you give up all rights

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Russia, has stepped on their proverbial ****.

If anything, they have shown their ineptitude and the shortcoming's of their Military, for the World to see. (As well as their brutality.)

Not good for them. His recent call up of "Reserves" has turned his Country upside down and will threaten his Leadership. "Autocratic Leadership looks immune to Public Outcry, until it is not." ( A quote I read recently, regarding Putin.)

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Re: Empty the prisons, send them to the Army-

Ahem. In a former life I have been a Basic Training Company Commander, and an Infantry Co. Commander.

PLEASE do not do us any favors. You don't want them, WE don't either. For every one that decides to straighten out and fly right, there will be 10 we will have to spend time and energy sending their sorry * to the stockade. Their fellow SOLDIERS don't want them. Really. They lie, cheat, steal, goldbrick, use drugs, sell drugs, go awol, etc etc.

Just....no. Make that HELL no.

• Options

chme, absolutely agree. Still, only in Hollyweird it all worked out in the "Dirty Dozen"😀--Ray