In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone own a Pistol in 5.7 X 28 ?

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in General Discussion

Ruger 57, FN, or PSA 57 Rock ?

Considering one just for something different to shoot.... Input appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

Got a Ruger 57 with a small red dot on it. Groups sub 2" at 40 yds. Averages 1 failure to feed (short stroking) every 40 rounds or so. I suspect that is due to the weight of the red dot being at the top end of what is recommended(and the pistol being new).

I like it. I enjoy shooting it. I don't like the ammo cost.

The only ammo I have shot out of it is the FN 40 grain blue tip. I have shot around 200 rounds (a buck a piece😯).

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

Got the same Ruger, looked like a cheap low recoil pistol for expensive ammo, so hey! what a deal. But I have to admit I have not put a single tiny bullet down the barrel yet.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭

nope but I been thinking one of these might just be a whole lot of fun

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947835405

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭

My brother has the FN. Fun to shoot but $$$

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

Well that certainly adds another wrinkle in this whole thought process...pistol and carbine with the same caliber/magazines...

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Both Ruger and the Keltec 50. Both have reddots and are super accurate.

The good news is 5.7 guns have dropped considerably in price. Keltec 50s are $750 or less and the Rugers around $550.

The bad news is finding ammo at a reasonable price. Expect to pay a dollar a pop or more if you can find it. Federal is the only US manufacturer that makes the ammo, rest imported from Europe.

According to the dealers in my area, people dont want to buy these guns because they cant find ammo. Explains why the prices have gone down.

My solution has been to reload.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭

I had two FN 5.7 pistols and also built an AR-15 in 5.7. I only shot one pistol leaving the other in a safe. They also had consecutive s/n's. Great pistol but as had been said not cheap and neither is the ammo. Locust Fork sold them last winter along with much of my 30 year collection. Hated to see them go but I can't keep everything.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Just a FYI. I have bought some ammo from a seller on the auction side named MollysPlace in the past and have been pleased with it. They have 250 rounds of Federal AE 40 gr FMJ going off in a couple of hours that is currently at 42/cents per round in case anyone is looking for some.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great price neacpa. I think mine sold for about 3X + that.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭

I was still working the gun counter when the 5.7 first came out. I thought it was a fun little cartridge but I didn't buy one because the darn 50 rd boxes of ammo were $20! Now I wish I had bought a couple of cases of ammo and stashed it away! The story of my life - woulda, shoulda, coulda, but didn't. Bob