In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reengineering for second, third time??????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

hung my deer feeder up about 10 ft between two trees on a cable and a boat crank. the boat crank is mounted/bolted to a tree and the cable goes straight up about 10ft then through a pulley across to the other tree. seems Mr bear tore the boat crank off the tree and the feeder fell straight down and smashed the spinner motor that throws the corn. It is mounted on 3 plastic legs just below a cone shaped funnell coming out of bottom of barrel. I brought it home and decided I could replace the plastic legs with 3" bolts, save me buying another. So I tore it apart and got to the bottom of the plastic housing and noticed the legs were right on the edge of the circular plastic housing so the head of the bolt wouldn't fit, neither would a nut if I reversed the bolts. No big deal I just drilled a new hole about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch inside where the old leg was.

got it all put back together and it worked fine, went back out to the cabin and hung it up and put bag of corn in it and tested it again..... fail, it jammed seems the bolts are to close to the little spinner now so pieces of corn jam between the spinner and the new bolts I put in. Just got back from cabin I had another thought that I would just move the bolts to the outside of the motor housing and duct tape them there there is not weight except the motor and 4 AAA batteries and duct tape could hold that. so went out and in the process of tearing down the housing to get to the 4 bolts I pulled the hot wire off the battery pack. !@#$%^%^ took it all down and threw it in the side by side and headed home. just got done soldering the wires back and taping the bolts to the outside of the motor housing and mounted it back on the barrell. put about 20lbs of corn in it and leaned it on the tailgate of the truck to test it out, duhhhhhh moment never thought about the corn being thrown all over the garage! but it didn't Jam and works fine now.

So I guess I get to make another trip out to the cabin about a 45 minute drive then up in the woods to hang the feeder back up. good thing I am retired or I don't know when I would have the time to fix my screwups, not to mention giving the garage a good sweeping out, I was afraid this time of year the corn would be a free housewarming gift to any mice around, so I moved everything I could and swept under all my junk to pick up about a pound of corn that threw into every knook and craney in the garage. Hope tommorow goes a little better I have two doctor visits and I pray they aren't as "clumsy" as me..........

Comments