In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mail Box and GPS Tracking

hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

Seems after 20 some years here, I Need another Mail Box

I have two address next to each other and have used the same Mail Box for both. Address

Supposed new regulations now say I have to have a separate Mail Box for each address.

Carrier says the new Mail Box has to be 5 foot from the old Mail Box. So when mail is delivered it can register with GPS that a stop was made.

My Neighbors box is 3 ft from my current box, she said that ok, Google Maps has that one already. New Boxes will be mapped. GOOGLE??

Rural Carrier, also says she get paid by the stops she makes as well and mileage and hours.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Get the new regulations in writing. That doesn't sound correct to me. And yes, Google maps basically everything.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I would check with the local postmaster concerning any new rules. They may be using the GPS data for package tracking if something comes up missing. Scan the package when it is delivered and the scanner also records location via GPS. If the carrier screws up and puts it in the wrong box, the recorded delivery info should show the location where it was actually delivered. This is just a guess on my part because Judy has been retired from the post office for 15 years and all this new fangled technology was in its infancy when she left. Bob

Edit to add - Rural carriers are paid based on the amount of mail both incoming and outgoing, mileage and the number of stops, but one extra mailbox stop would have almost no effect on their pay. It used to be that once a year they performed a mail count on the route that verified the amount of mail and mileage and mailboxes. If a new subdivision was built and 10 new boxes installed after the count, the carrier had to deliver that mail without any extra compensation until the next count. Bob

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

Plan on dropping by the Post Office Tomorrow

Hitting up some Yard Sales on the Way..

• htredneckhtredneck Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

My mother is a retired rural mail carrier who used to get in on the arbitration of carrier disputes. She had to drive four hours north (from Missouri into Iowa) to measure the distance of a mail box. The postmaster refused to certify that the mailbox was 1 foot further than 'officially' declared. That foot apparently put the box into the next mile so the carrier's pay was shorted by .36 cents every day.

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭

Put the new one 5 feet ABOVE the other one! 😎 (mark it "Air Mail") The USPS is one of the most ignorant of our goobermint entities.

• goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

This is how accurate the Post Office GPS is. I took a video of my scanner, right in front of the mailbox, scanning a parcel as I put it into the box.

It said I was 741 feet away and asked if I was sure I wanted to deliver it there.

Showed it to my Postmaster, she said it just needs calibrated, that was a year ago.....

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

Just give her the 5 ft space and make her happy, nothing else about being a rural carrier is happy

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

Went out to the mail box Saturday to get the Mail, and darned it it wasn't crooked so tried to straighten it. Snapped at the base . Wood had rotted out after 20 years..

Talked to Post master She said as long as there were two mail boxes i did not matter how far apart they were.

So sliced a post together, dug a hole, off to hardware store for some concrete ans another mail Box.

Both Boxes set on the same post and ready for Tuesdays mail. Should be good for as long as i am.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

One day last week, I was out by the road when an Amazon Prime truck pulled up near me and stopped. The driver handed me a package, I thanked him, and started walking toward the house when I noticed the driver walking walking beside me. I asked if there was some problem. He said there was no problem, but the Amazon system would not let him leave because he had stopped too far from the house ..... the delivery address. We walked until he was about 35 feet from the house, then he waved and returned to his truck.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

"Rural Carrier, also says she get paid by the stops she makes as well and mileage and hours."

This is correct (or was correct in 2009 when I retired). Here's what's going on: rural carriers get paid by miles, boxes, and stops. Adding a box doesn't add much pay while adding a stop AND a box is more significant.

I talked to my carrier a couple weeks back and he showed me the current version of the route scanner which does track and record movement based on GPS technology.

• slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭