In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Outboard motor guys

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,660 ******

My friend just bought a boat with a 25 hp Mercury outboard. He was able to try it on the river before he bought it. He said it died on the way back to the landing but he went ahead and bought it beit was a good deal.

Sitting at his house, he says it will start but die and there's not much water coming out of the weep hole. He thinks it's the water pump.

Neither of us knows anything about outboards but he got on YouTube and wants me to help him replace the pump.

Questions:

Do outboards have a safety that shuts them down if there's no water flow?

How big a job is it to change out?

Are there any things we can check before tearing into it?

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds more like a fuel issue to me. Check the fuel filter.

Have him pull the little plastic piece that the motor 'pees' out of and make sure it's clear. Re-install it and see if there's good flow. Most newer engines will warn you and then shut down in an overheat situation but not necessarily a low water flow situation. Changing out the impeller is pretty easy IF that's the problem.

Is he running the motor in a tub of water so that the impeller is actually drawing in and circulating the water or does he have it hooked up with rabbit ears and a hose?

• Options
  • Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

Highly unlikely that a 25hp would have such a safety. What year model is it? Fuel injected 4 stroke? Carbed 2 stroke?

If fuel injected, the fuel pump may be bad. Dad's Yamaha had a fuel pump go out with less than 1 hour in the brand new motor! Would not crank at all however.

If carbed, then carb needs cleaning. This is what it sounds like with no other info.

Bad water pump will just make the motor run hot and melt/destroy the motor.

Water pump is easy to change, recommend getting an OEM one! BUT that is not the main issue here. Water will not come out of the motor will not stay running more than 1 or 2 seconds(has to have time to prime)

COULD be as simple as a hole in the fuel line from the tank!

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Oh yea, forgot to mention, make sure the vent is open on the gas tank. Don't ask me why I know this, now.🤗

• Options

Find a garbage can or something to dip the engine into and run it that way. That'll show you right quick if your impeller is operating. When it's hooked to a hose the water pressure from the hose will cause some flow out of the pee hole.

Like Bpost just mentioned, make sure the gas tank vent's open. That could definitely cause the symptoms you're describing.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

If a carb engine could be: 1. Electrical - coil or condeser or spark plug. 2. Fuel jets or float. 3. A bad impeller will only make the engine overheat. Steam comes out of the discharge. I don't know if a overheated enginw will shut down. They will run hot if they get a little water. Good luck.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******

It could be operator error.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

It very well could be.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

If you run it in a tub, don't put it in gear! The prop will wash the water out of the tub. Pull the prop if he wants to test run it in gear. "Don't ask me why I know this, now."

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

I would bet on a dirty carb, probably from sitting. If he can get it to run, I would:

1. Use fresh gas.
    2. Start and run it wide open for a while. Sometimes that will do the trick.

Do check that stream, though. If the motor is running hard, then water shouldn’t be just trickling out; should be a strong stream.

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******

I would start with the fuel line, and primer bulb. You should definitely replace the impeller.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

Before leaving the boat ramp boat dock area

Get two big paddles and always go up stream and keep the wind in your face. (go up wind)

Paddling downstream and with the wind at your back is a big help.

Do not ever get downstream with a paddle.

How do I know this sort of stuff.

I once owned a old Champion outboard motor. It would always start and run good around the boat ramp area or if in site of the boat ramp. Get downstream and or out of site of the launch ramp and it would not start. I loaned the motor to a guy and told him such. He said he did not believe me until now.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I keep a 3 ft piece of string trimmer string in my boat for those occasions when I get into a shallow/muddy area, run it up the "pee" hole a couple of times. Has always worked for me (for mud). Even plugged, the motor should still run (until it burns up of course).

Probably a fuel issue as mentioned , more than likely the carb needs a good cleaning .

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******

Do you know this because someone you know did this?

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

He said not to ask.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

You'd probably get the same answer from @bpost

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Google You Tube video, "Redneck Engine Ether." (I've been told) Or "Redneck Engine Trouble." I watched it about 15 times initially when I found it. Crying/laughing hysterically. Too funny. 🤔😉😂

You will Thank me. 👍

• Options

You need a bigger tub! I left the prop on my DF140 and kicked it into forward and reverse in about a 200 gallon stock tank. I think it would make one hell of a margarita mixer!