In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A new and humbling experience for sure

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I took my Anschutz 1413 to a ARA (American Rimfire Association) benchrest match today, it wears a Mueller 8X32 scope set on 32. It is my first go at BR shooting. My rifle is a "one holer" in calm winds. Because it is an Anschutz it is considered to be in the unlimited class. I used a rear bag and front rest. The top guns shoot one piece rests, FANCY rifles with tuners and super expensive optics. I shot ELEY match ammo.

Well, life ain't all calm winds or seas. I did NOT come in last. Shooting 22LR BR at 50 yards with twitching winds will show you how far a 22LR bullet can move in a 5MPH wind. I love the challenge, the top five BR shooters in Ohio were there, people will help any way they can. If you want to challenge yourself, grab your favorite 22 rifle and go have some major fun.

I am going to St. Clairsville Oh tomorrow, a 2-1/2 hour drive to shoot another ARA match. Learning the wind flags makes the difference between a 10 or a 100. The scoring rings on that target are BRUTAL. Go to the ARA website and look at the target, you will see how fast they deduct points for each shot not dead center.

Comments

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,387 ******

Well good luck and have fun!

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Good Luck tomorrow .. Just curious do you mic the rim thickness on the ammo for consistency ?

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I just grab the Eley Match cartridge and go bang. There are many fundamentals to this sport to learn first. Once I can read the wind better and start outshooting the rifle/rest/bag set up I have I will worry about the minutiae to improve. Since my rifle is classified as unlimited and I don't run a tuner or solid one piece base I am already starting in the hole. That is okay. In shooting the basic fundamentals must come first. Only then will improved equipment, ammo choice and other factors help me much. I can see a "real" benchrest rifle in my future but I am patient and will wait until I can take advantage of the investment required.

The good thing is it is still cheaper than flying!