In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

walnut tree

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭

I cut some walnut trees

do any of you know where or how to market them?

I am in Northeast Arkansas

I just hate to cut them up into fire wood

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,669 ******
    edited October 2022

Put them on C-list. A friend sold some last Fall to a big sawmill and got a pretty good price. It depends on how they grade.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Walnut doesn't make very good firewood.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

22 million BTU per cord. Not as good as oak but lots better than poplar. I burn a lot of black walnut in the wood stove.

If the tree grew in somebody's yard the sawmill doesn't want it, somebody might have put a screw eye into it 30 years ago for a clothes line, or some kids might have built a tree house in it, years ago, there could be some 16d nails buried 8 inches deep inside the wood. It needs to have grown in the middle of the forest.

What diameter are the trees?

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

PM me sizes of logs, etc. I've got a friend who has a bandsaw mill and we might be interested.

Search web for "log buyers near me" and you might find someone.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

With the value of Walnut a good mill will have the means to metal check the logs. Most of the old ore docks in Ashland Wis. were sawed into lumber, and they had many objects to avoid.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭

it is in a fence row but I have cut some big limbs that had no metal in them

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Check for black stains in bottom of first log.

Fence row, yikes watch out.

Not positive about walnut but I do know oak will let you know if it has steel in it.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

Firewood material here in SW MO. Cedar is worth some $$ because of all the Cedar siding / closet companies in the area.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pix. Sorry, but they're not big enough for saw logs.

Might make turning pieces, but firewood may be the best plan.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭

They logged out some woods by me about 20 years ago, 400 oak and around 200 walnut. Large logging operations will not fool around with just a couple of trees, and the only thing they take is the trunk that are straight, they just leave the limbs, no matter how good they look.

When milling logs to hit a nail or and old fence that has been swallowed up by tree over years cost thousands of dollars in replacing the blade and time. As they told me, the logs were shipped to the coast and loaded onto a ship and sent to Japan and were milled on the ship on their way.

As far as firewood walnut doesn’t burn very well compared to oak or elm.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Saw milled a bit in the past, sawed most every piece of lumber for my house including trim and paneling.

Sawing a big white pine and all of a sudden zing, pow, shazam. Hit one of those big ole porceline? insulators, the one with the big lag screw in the center, log was about 32 inches through and the "thing" was almost 16 inches into the tree. Pine trees don't show metal stains. Yep new set of bits but no saw damage.

Hated filing a saw but it was sometimes entertaining, turkeys would gobble every time the file crossed the tooth.