In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tractor clutch problem, need help

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

My buddy's brother has a Kabota 1500 that he let sit way too long and now the clutch is stuck to the flywheel.

Anyone have a tip on how best to break it loose without having to haul it to a repair shop.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I had that happen to my Ford 1920. I hooked up the brush hog and went mowing with the clutch held down. After about 45 minuted of mowing it broke loose no problem, no muss, no fuss.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

That is good advice but I was hoping not to take the tractor apart.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

If you try my method it might work as well as it did for me! I have a shuttle shift and was able to "pop" into second gear with nary a grinding of the gears.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin

I put a clutch in a tractor that some people tried that on. They had run it about 30 minutes before the release bearing walked through the pressure plate fingers.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I bought and sold cars from an insurance storage pool where many had been sitting for months. I have had a stuck clutch on a few cars and found that if I started the car in low hear with the pedal held down. I would give it quite a bit of throttle then immediately back off. After 2-3 tries the clutch would break free with quite a bang. The first car scared me a bit - not knowing what happened. After that I expected it. Probably not the best thing for u-joints & etc but it always worked and didn't seem to do any damage.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

Go to YouTube

About eight yrs back our 8n Ford had similar problem . Lots of ideas and videos on how to break one free . Hope one helps you

But for me our tractor was worst case I had to split the tractor and replace the clutch pressure plate and bearing

I am sure the one I took out may have been original or at least a very old replacement

It's Not difficult but not what I was hoping for But such is my luck lol

• Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

My Dad had an 8N Ford with a stuck clutch. He took it to the Ford dealer, they measured and drilled about a 1 1/2" hole saw, stuck a bar in and popped the clutch. They put a rubber plug in the hole and said a round hole doesn't hurt the strength of the casting.

I've been lucky I've never had a stuck clutch on any of my Ford Tractors. Ford forum recommends Keeping a 2X4 block cut to length and always block the clutch down.

standard.jpg
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Our TD6 bulldozer had a stuck clutch and I fixed it by driving it slowly up against a big tree and as soon as it hit the tree the clutch let loose and worked fine after that. Find a big tree and try it.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever you may accomplish with these 'easy fix/break it loose' alternatives won't be the 'end all' of your problems.

The reason: The area where the clutch face 'stuck' to the flywheel will end up pitted/rough and will either wear faster or cause the clutch to be 'hitchy' which may be dangerous. The right way to fix this is costly both labor and money wise but will be safer and longer lasting.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin

Glad you got 'er runnin'!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭

glad you and your neighbor got away cheap