In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lessons sometimes come the hard way

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Shot my second ARA benchrest match yesterday. My first target was awesome. Little did I know the targets are two sided. I have to shoot Unlimited because I have an Anschutz rifle. Well when checking scores between relays I was talking to the match master. He did not know what I was shooting and corrected him on the rifle I had used. I had fired on the Factory Rifle side of the target, not realizing my error or that there was two sides. All that work was for naught.

The target (rightfully) had to be scored a zero. Scoring a zero out of four targets sure hurts your aggregate in a go-fast-hurry. I doubt I will make that error again but rest assured there are many more to learn.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

they couldn't just turn it over and count the holes that went through backwards?????? even if it was a different size target the holes would be in the center of paper right???

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

Like I always told my kids in school, always turn in some form of homework. Even if you score an F on it, it's better than a zero.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

That would have been nice but the target bullseyes do not line up well. The UNLIMITED target is smaller but unless you have shot it a lot it might not be noticeable. Some guys get the targets and put a big X on the wrong side so they don't hang it wrong. The newest targets are only printed on one side.

Aside from that, I shot the wrong side of the target, that is my fault so I paid the price.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I would bet you aren't the only one who has done that. However I just wonder how many would admit it.

• Options

In competition some are driven by fortune and fame, beleive it or not that seldom pay off. Some try to out spend others to "buy" victory, that too seldom pays off. I found I shoot a lot better when the focus is on the target in front of me with the goal to beat myself, I ignore the last shot, it is already gone and can't be fixed or changed. That focus empties the mind of distractions and forces me to think only of the fundamentals and making every shot count. I have won matches with a $50.00 barn gun 22 rifle against target rifles because the focus is not on winning but doing my best. If I happen to win it is gravy on the taters.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

If you care to send me your address I’ll ship you a fresh copy of the book With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham.

Its a great read & he is a gold medal competitive shooter who has built a business out of improving the performance of others.

Thanks for sharing your story!

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not following you, are you shooting air rifles or 22lrs?

My neighbor on the hill behind me shoots long range black powder cartridge.

I tried cowboy action for bit and got annoyed with the local crotchety old SOB running the local group. He said no complaining at the beginning of the match and continued to complain throughout the whole match. I have better things to do than listen to 60-70 year old men act like children.

• Options

This is precision benchrest rifle, firing 22LR ammo shot at 50 yards. There is also 100 and 200 yard matches. It is amazingly difficult to hit a .500 diameter 100 point ring when the scoring is done WORST edge. If the bullet touches the 100 and 50 ring, it scores a 50. Most targets score best edge where if it touches the 9 you get a nine, not the ARA target. If it touches the 100 and the 50, you get the 50.