In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Speaking of Gun Safes.......

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,825 ***** Forums Admin

We are in the market for one, and are leaning strongly toward this one. Thoughts/input?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/liberty-safe-revere-64-60-minute-fire-rating-rv64-bzt-e-dp

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good. The only thing I am not a fan of is the electric lock. I am sure they have gotten better since I sold safes but 12 years ago they had dependability problems. I have had my one safe with a S&G dial lock for 25 years and nary a problem. A while back we had someone on the forum who was getting only a month or so battery life because of a defective lock. Just something for you to consider. Bob

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,995 ******

You're going to get about 50 different opinions.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I guess a dial lock would be better, but got to hide the numbers cause you might forget them.

I have both dial and electric. Guess where the dial numbers are hidden.

Safe you are looking at is entry level at best but way better than nothing.

There is my 2 cents.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,043 ******
    edited November 2022

That was me. Was literally getting only one week from a battery regardless of brand. Was sent NEW upgraded lock and got a personal phone call to walk me through the change out. Put a new battery in and has been flawless ever since, and still has the original battery put in at change out. Dang, that's been what 2 years????

OMG, I posted New keypad installed on safe-- Sept. 2019 over 3 years, same battery, no issues. ymmv

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,043 ******

Whoa @nunn

I've always heard Liberty is the leader in safes. The one you posted looks great. Remember to consider where it will set and how you're going to get it there.

A year ago we needed to move our small 24 gun safe from basement to upstairs bedroom. Having just got out of hospital I could not do it anymore. No moving company in area does safes any more. Locksmiths?, Nope don't move them. Called several safe retailers- they don't move them, the delivery company does curb side only. And they mean curbside, not driveway,garage,ect.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,825 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November 2022

All the safes we looked at yesterday had a key in addition to the digital keypad. Key lock is located under the keypad. Just pop the keypad off and you can access the key lock. I did see one online this morning that had a dial, but it might be electronic to? I'm not sure you can even get a mechanical tumbler lock in today's world.

That's a nice one nunn pictured!😊

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭

I have very old safes with dial locks that still work great. Best feature is that the wife could not dial a combo to save herself.

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭

One I bought had an electric push button lock. The locksmith changed it out for an old fashioned dial lock that is WAY better.

• bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Be sure to ask about flooding. Is it water proof?

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭

Move them by any means you have available. I pulled the doors off also & they still weighed a 1/2 ton+. The 580K required a little more oomph to lift the gray one. It was also fun using a com-a-long to pull them up ramps & onto the trailer. Plywood worked well to protect the deck. These safes were next to free because no one wanted to move them.

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭

I like my Cannon

but I love my Browning Silver that I can put the long guns on the door that I use the most

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭

As toad67 said, no matter what size you get you'll wish is was larger after 6 months. I have both lock types and feel the S&G is more secure. My safes with the digital lock are much easier to use though. Mine have a key backup. LED light is a nice feature. Price is good but don't count on getting 64 guns in it. All the safes are way overrated capacity wise. When things get crowded get some of those knitted gun socks. They will help prevent anything from getting safe rash.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭

I have had my liberty for 15 years with a digital lock. Never a problem with battery life. Agree with number of guns you can store, no where near as advertised. I now have four full gun safes. Thinking about building a safe room in basement.

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Measure the door width and safe width and depth.🙂

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,371 ******

Liberty safes for me.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain

Never had a problem with my Liberty safes that are key pad. I did have on hang up once, used an old safe craker trick, opened right up.

Trick was to free up locking rods. Still had to have combination.

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭

Used a Piano moving company last time I Relocated the Safe. No problems.

Have a 24 gun for the house.

And a 48 gun for the Shop and some Wire Cages, built a 12 "x12" Gun Room around that.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,411 ✭✭✭✭

Mine are Fort Knox, with mechanical dial, No electrics. I don't think flooding will be a problem at 5200 feet elevation in the desert.