In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1903 Springfield stock?

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭

I picked up this 03 Springfield stock. It's in really good shape and appears it never had a barrel or action. It has a large B and an 88 stamped inside the barrel channel. The cartouches are puzzling as I thought they were applied on the completed gun. Can anyone tell me what I have?

Thanks

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

You were right, that is the cartouche applied to a complete Remington Arms 1903A3 by a military inspector. (RA = Remington Arms). Looks like traces of white paint; someone tried to clean the stock.

OG is Ogden Arsenal. Sometimes they rebuilt rifles, sometimes all they did was inspect rifles after they were turned in.

In the 1950's & 1960's many unissued 03A3's were sold by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship.

Neal

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

There was a batch of unissued RA stocks put in the Ogden Arsenal that had acceptance stamps put on them. Probably where your stock came from. FJA is the head inspector, Frank J. Atwood and the crossed cannon stamp is most always not fully applied as the stock was rounded and only part of the stamp gets imprinted.