In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What model Remington 700 is this

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Ask the Experts

My buddy has a Remington 700 in 22-250 with a Rifle Basix trigger that has a scary light trigger pull. It is fine for benchrest shooting but dangerous for field work. He is sending the trigger back to the factory for adjustment and a check up. We don't think the trigger is factory installed.

The stock may or may not be original, we do not know. I wonder if it is a Sendero as I know nothing about them. There is an aluminum block molded into the stock and they action is definitely bedded. Is this the way they came from the factory or is this a high quality after market stock. It is made of "plastic" if that is the right word. The trigger guard is a separate aluminum piece that holds the magazine.

What torque settings should we use for the action screws?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

If the stock is original the name Remington should be on the butt.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

Pictures would help.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭

I think 700's are 45 inch pounds.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Sending a 700 back to the factory for a check-up, with an aftermarket trigger (Rifle Basix), and in a stock that might not be factory? Sounds crazy to me, but it's your shipping dollars. Post some pictures Bruce, Rem 700's aren't that hard to figure out. I'm sure that we can get you pointed in the right direction..

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

toad67, my bad. We are not sending the RIFLE back, we are sending the TRIGGER back. I spoke with the factory that makes the trigger and they said it was no problem for them to make sure it was good to go. It only weighs a couple of ounces. We figure a 12 inch square box made out of 3/4" plywood packing the trigger in foam should let USPS get it there undamaged. 😀

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Not positive but I don't think the Sendero came in 22-250. I am sure there are those on here that would know.

Senderos had 26 inch barrels, I think, and were not glass bedded.

The bedding block is correct for a Sendero at least mine is. I have the first year version, started out as a 7mm magnum but didn't even make it home until it was smithed to a STW.

• MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

For a couple years Remington made a 700 VS SF. If memory serves, they had a H-S synthetic stock. Short actions in 223 Rem and 22-250 Win. Always wanted one. Maybe that's what this is?

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭

Why would you 'send back' an adjustable trigger because is was 'scary light'? This is the idea behind an adjustable trigger.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

There is visible movement of the firing pin on the back of the bolt when the rifle bolt is turned down in the locked position. It does not matter if a case is chambered or not, the firing pin should not move. We think someone may have messed with this trigger a bit too much and has some settings that make it unsafe to carry. Since it only costs a couple of bucks to send it back for a free inspection it will give the owner peace of mind when carrying the rifle in the field.

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

The Remington 700 trigger is what led to some massive lawsuits. I believe something like 6 to 8 million rifles were involved. A few people said their rifles fired when the safety was released, others said when they closed the bolt. Anyway, they may just send you a new trigger.

This discussion has been closed.