In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Belgian Made ACN double barrel shotgun

I was hoping to find out more information and a possible

value to this gun. Any information would be helpful. I found the maker's mark ACN in a circle is associated with NEUPREZ Frères, but that is about as much as I know. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I think the letters in a circle are proof marks, not the manufacturer. Some of the experts should be able to give you more info than I can. There should be some markings on top of the frame in front of the breech. revealed by separating the barrels from the frame. Nice looking gun!

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

IIRC, the Blue Book of Gun Values has a chapter on proof marks, even an old copy should work.

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Thank you toad as I checked the blue book and it shows a proof mark for a Belgian gun. The proof mark is not the circled ANC but the squigley elongated EL but it is sideways on your gun and very worn. It states "since 1852, proof house Liege, provisional black powder proof for breech loading guns and rifled barrels. It shows the proof mark was changed in 1893. I do not know what the circled ANC is, probably the makers mark. I also do not know the value, but an educated guess would be around $350.

• Options
    EnchantedFairyEnchantedFairy Member Posts: 3

Thank you guys! That is quite helpful.

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

The punch on the barrels representing letters ACN in a circle is the mark of the manufacturer of barrels is NEUPREZ Frères Street Bonne Nouvelle, 11 in Liege. It is a true side-lock and all of the screw slots have NOT been buggered up by 'bubba' gunsmithing on the kitchen table. Photo #3 shows a very tight lock-up and the lever is slightly to the right of center - a good thing. The barrels do not 'appear' to be Damascus - but I can't swear to that. The 17.4mm choke would be 'x-full' if that is what it shows - I can't tell for sure. The 17.7mm choke is 'full' and the 18.4mm says it is a 12 gauge.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

If you separate the barrels from the action and post a picture of the underside below the chambers it would help. Also a pic of the receiver flats should show something. Looks like a decent old gun.

• Options
    EnchantedFairyEnchantedFairy Member Posts: 3

I can't get the lever to budge. It's the one in the middle right? It's supposed to go from side to side?

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

The opening lever turns to the right only. If stuck GENTLY tap it. Do not use enough force to bend it. Possibly use penetrating fluid, being careful to not soak the wood. A nice piece but not considered a valuable antique. The country was flooded with Belgium double barrels at the turn of the century. This one looks like higher than average quality. Good luck.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Since you seemingly have never opened the action, are you sure it is unloaded? Gently put a cleaning rod down the barrel as far as it will go and then mark the rod at the muzzle. Remove the rod and hold it next to the barrel and see if the marked portion reaches from the muzzle to the breech. If it does, then follow navc130's instructions to try to open it. Bob