In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sell or Donate? WW-II M-1 Carbine

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

For reference, see Sell or Donate @ Ask the Experts

Discussion closed there after 10 posts exceeded. Fair enough.

Hope to continue with additional pictures and responses as requested.

Rob C.

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Have a carbine that "left" Winchester, New Haven in early 1940's. Has been in the family ever since.

A prominent western museum would accept it as a donation, but for tax purposes won't assign a value.

Appraiser wants $100.00 to $500.00 plus to appraise. Unofficial sources claims that records show it was destroyed and may be worth north of $5,000.00. Leaning towards selling rather than donating.

Seems that appraisal might boost sales value, but then price of the appraisal may limit that advantage.

Any advice on how to proceed? Sources of carbine history, values, etc?

Not in a hurry to move, but would like to dispose of it before my big number comes up and some family member gives it away. Any grist for the mill?

Thanks,

Robert Cleveland

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

If I sell a carbine, I take it apart and photo all of the parts with markings or numbers. People looking for high quality M1 Carbines will want to know. Someone will need to do some research, there are books available, so as to understand what the numbers and markings mean so they can be listed in the auction description. I only sell here on Gun broker and that will probably produce the best results for you if you decide to sell. Remember, good clear photos are key. Good luck.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

I would take the unofficial sources as just that account of your in possession of the rifle and it’s in working order I assume. If it was released in early 1940 contract and was never sent back to an arsenal for rebuild, it should have the narrow barrel band, older flip up rear sight and no bayonet lug. This would make it more of a premium, if it were me I would sell rather than give it away.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭

I worked at the New York State Military Museum for twenty-five years. We also did not assign a value to a possible donation. The reason being that it can come back and bite you in the butt. We have had several prospective donations walk away.

Tip....never get an appraisal from a source that also buys similar items.

Thanks for the advice guys. Pics will follow , though it may take a day or two.

Rob

Hey, is there no serial number, just an "A" ??????

That is very interesting. Are there any markings on the stock?? Is there a date and manufacture on the barrel near the muzzle??

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Please tell us when you list it on GunBroker.

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Nice. No good reason to donate that. Get it appraised if you want, but you’re unlikely to recoup that cost…and you already know it’s valuable. Several sellers on this site will get you top $. Recommend getting in touch with one ( perhaps @Ricci.Wright who posted above or @Locust Fork ). Best of luck.

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

When Winchester first developed the carbine the 1st model after the prototype was designated as the "A" model. After test firing the rifle cracks appeared in the receiver and the model "B" was developed with a stronger receiver, but problems developed with the "B" model and was corrected and then went into full production, unofficially as the "C" model but was never designated as such. Collectors still want to get their hands on a model A or B and are they are the most rarest carbines to acquire in a collection. But I do not know how many A or B carbines were made for testing, but they are scarce to come by and would command a high premium. I would contact an auction house that specializes in rare arms and ask them, and to be fair there are at least two auctioneers here that could help you, ricci wright and locust fork, much luck to you.

Have some close ups I'll try to post today. Yes, no serial #. JUst the "A"

Thanks for all the excellent responses.

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to do a follow up as this question was asked about 3 - 4 years ago. Someone had both model "A" & "B" carbines and said he had got them from his father. His father was a test engineer at Winchester and after completing the testing talked to the supervisor and was allowed to bring them home as they were scrapping both models. The carbines never had serial numbers as those numbers were reserved for future carbine production. Your carbine also has not been messed with, as it has the high wood stock, flip rear sight, push button safety, and early two rivet handguard. As for value it would be north of 5K in an auction setting.

Having trouble downloading some of the pics. Will keep trying.

YjpThorhammer,

Yes, that was me. "B" was, and still may be, with a cousin. I'm trying to track it down.

Still working on closeups of the "A" and few other marks. I've been told, not yet verified, that Dads supervisor was a man named Merton.

1942 or thereabouts. Believe I have a data sheet the Old Man filled out on reload ballistics for the .44-40.

Thanks for the input.

Rob Crosby

Photo update: Still having problems getting pics from my phone (surprisingly sharp, considering) to laptop and the Forum. Would be glad to send what I have direct to anyone interested as well as take additional photos as requested.

I'm 74 and no family members are interested. It will definitely go. Likely early spring. Don't want to give it away, but not looking to retire (LOL) on the sale either. G.B. auction most likely.

Will check for any distinguishing marks on the stock. Upper hand guard is the "2 rivet" design. Have original magazines, don't have the sling but I think the oiler is still around.

Rob

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Interesting post, but in this ATE forum, posts are limited to 10 replies which has come and gone already, Open a new post if you want to continue. Maybe in the GD forum which doesn't have the limit.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

@RCrosby you don't have to send pics to computer to post them here. Login to GB on your phone and then into the forums. In the comments box at the bottom is the icon to post pics. Click it and pick your photos to post.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I had to close it, looking forward to more discussion.

I think I merged them here in GD let me know if it didn't do correctly...

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

my vote sell it

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Sell it if you must.

Bet you will regret it.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Sell it here Brother. (Just look what happened to the German SF Shotgun.) Give us a "Heads Up," when you list the Auction. Shameless plugs are welcomed. Those of us that hang out on the Forums are/tend to be hard core Firearms Junkies. I (personally) have bought quite a few from this site over the years via this route. 👍

One of my favorite firearms is my 1942 Carbine. Would be in the top 5 for the SHTF.

Thanks for the posts.

Rest assured:

Carbine will definately go up on Gun Broker Auction site. May be January or February 2023.

Advance notice to you all promised.

Rob

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

If you donate it to me, I will appraise it for whatever you want.

Most generous of you, sir! ;-)

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Sort of like the locak RAMS rack, donate something and you fill out the value for tax puropses.

Apparently $500.00 is the limit for unquestioned appraisal value. Over that, and the tax man may require a bonafide appraisal. Yes?

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭

Appraisals are useless. A firearm is worth whatever it will sell for, appraisals are just something that gives an "expert" some money and makes a person feel good about whatever widget they own. Insurance companies do not pay out according to appraisals on firearms. If your house burns down with all your guns in it they will make you prove what you owned sells for the amount you say its worth. What they do use are recent sales of the item to determine what they will pay....and you have to give them this information to prove what your item is worth.

Most high end collector that follows certain models have seen the same guns go up on market and they know when a special item shows back up for sale.....what it sold for 5 years ago....who owned it in the past and if it has had any alterations done. So, when you have a "thing" that is so rare and special the collectors can tell you what to expect by what they have seen happen in the past. You need to go on the collectors forums....there are several online and I'm sure you'll get lots of input. Be ready to post pictures. Those people are your best bet to get a true value on your item if you are looking for what it might sell for.

The more valid you can make it....provenance, documentation, research on every marking, types of barrel bands used, types of safety variants and how yours has the correct everything to be what you say it is....the better. Reserching things can be fun and it will most likely lead you to find out all kinds of history and such that you will enjoy learning as you go. Best of luck to you in this adventure.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Excellent post. Thanks for all the info. A couple of major surgeries (r. and l. hip) have slowed me down.

Current plan is to continue with much of the research as you advise and post on G>B> auction early in February.

I'vd had a number of items die on the vine because my low acceptable bid was too high. On the other hand I bought a military handgun for $350.-- that was finally bid up to $3,500.00 due to some esoteric marking that meant nothing to me, but apparently quite a bit to a couple of bidders with deep pockets. I don't expect to that happen again, but all things considered I'm confident that a competitive G.B. auction is the way to go.

I'll be alerting all before actually listing it and planning on 2 weeks to let it cook.

Looking forward to exploring your site. Thanks again, Rob Crosby

Think I've finally broken the "phone to laptop to GB " code.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Well, Your Almost there. (Gotta learn the "rotate" feature.) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^😂

It took me awhile, but I figured it out. 👍

You seem like a really nice guy/good addition to the Forums @RCrosby, hope you continue posting.

Kent, Thanks for the kind words.

I've actually been around for longer than it seems. Major SNAFU (a.k.a. *) situation a while back led me to come back as a newbie some time ago. Checking in with the Forums has become an almost daily pleasure, though I don't anticipate much more activity until Feb. 1 when I'll be listing the Carbine on the auction side.Happy Holidays to All, however you celebrate them.

Rob