In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Adventuresome daughter wants to go West....suggestions?

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭

My middle child has been driving me crazy. She went with me on a business trip and ended up moving down to Crystal river for a short period of time because she fell in love with Manatees. She unloaded fishing boats, worked a large beekeeping outfit, and did some light construction work while she was there.

After that she moved to Mentone where she is working at a famous restaurant

She has a cabin rented up there that is adorable....a little above her price range, but she is having a great time.

Next she has decided to head West...she has never been out that direction, so any place sounds like an adventure to her. She has ZERO plans, but will jump at whatever comes her way first....which is what I'm trying to stop, but I will fail, so I'm trying to see if I can just get some ideas tossed out that make sense to her.

I've told her she needs to get a roomate and stay in the cabin until she has a little nest egg saved up to do whatever she does next. That is not what she wants though. She is ready to drop everything and move on asap.

So, if any of you have any input I'd love to hear it.

She has worked with beekeeping, food serving, light construction, she's very dependable and engergetic....and adorably cute....which is terrifying to imagine her just hitting the open road like a hobo.

My kids are going to be why I go bald and start talking to myself one day.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

VEGAS. All of her past jobs will get her hired in VAGAS !!!!!

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

How far west are we talking here? A lot of easterners think Kansas is west. Idaho is full, so can't recommend it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Yellowstone National Park hires seasonal peeps, provides housing. Don't remember the meal situation. Since she has a wandering foot this might be right up her alley. I'm actually looking into doing it at some point for the adventure. Plus, I would get to see all of the park that I never would get to see on a vacation trip.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Wait until spring.

Didn't she buy a camper?

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Utah has the best-rated business economy in the US. Building is booming, taxes are moderate, the climate is good, and it's a family-friendly state with low crime. I recommend Ogden over cities south, as Ogden is more "mixed" as regards religion and ethnicity. Slightly cheaper housing here, also.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Rocky nailed it - Utah. 5 national parks to explore & a lot more wholesome atmosphere than the dens of iniquity further west. My wife's favorite destination.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like my Son. Now 28/29 has traveled the Country and is finally settling down a bit.

Agree with Susie, Yosemite for the seasonal hiring/Housing gig.

We sent my Son to many NOLS and Outward Bound Instructor level courses. He was an accredited Guide for multiple disciplines. Worked as a Guide out West for a few years. Met a Great Girl doing the same. They have been a Couple for 3-4 years now. Just moved to MA. after having lived in CO. last few years.

Haven't seen him in about 5 years. Last falls get together fell through, as they had just moved, got jobs and a new to them House in the Country. Looking forward to this coming Springs get together.

@susie, you sound like a girl (my age) I'd love to meet. 😁

• Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

I recommend Tulsa, OK. It is a beautiful city and there is a lot to do.

• Options

Maybe, but in Oklahoma, "Playing Twister" takes on a whole new meaning.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******

Lock her in the cabin.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

...A good many of the Lodges and rental cabins in the mountain states along the better trout fishing rivers offer a free cabin and pay minimum wage for housekeeping duties, for the season, maybe 2-3 months...these places are usually in beautiful areas...with some towns, kinda close...used to go every year to a lodge for 10 days of fishing on the Conejos River in Colorado...closest town is about an hour down the mountain from where I stayed...or can drive a few hours to Chama, NM...

• Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭

Subscribe to the Caretakers Gazette ,,,,,, all kinds of jobs listed, in numerous places worldwide.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

If she wants an adventure, follow her Mother’s footsteps and serve in the United States Navy.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

Have her try Zion Nat Park , there is a tour compny , that needs folks to run Jeep tours around the park

• Options

I keep sending her the ideas yall post.....hopefully something logical sticks in her head.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Sounds like my daughter #2; sometimes they just have to wander. Listen to "Wide Open Spaces" by the Chicks; it made me cry.

Give her external batteries for her phone.

Neal

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭

I would have said Estes Park Colorado, but it may not be Maga enough for some.

• Options

From Ogden, in 45 minutes, I can take in ballet or opera. Utah has one of the world's best Shakespeare festivals. Or 45 minutes away, I can hunt moose, elk, bison, and deer, or stand in a blue-ribbon trout stream. You can ski, hike, camp, bike, or photograph some of the most spectacular scenery on earth. We have more federal and state parks than any other state. Millions of people come here annually to experience these and more.

At the other end of the spectrum, Utah is a world leader in technology, medicine, space, aviation, and computers.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

Actually, I would make room in Idaho for your daughter (any of your kids really). She is hard working so we could use more of her type here. There are some absolutely beautiful places in Idaho from McCall north. (I would avoid most of South Idaho, TBH). If she wants adventure, have her look into firefighting on a district crew. I have some contacts on the North Fork district if she is interested. That district is very remote. When I worked there, the only phone was a radio telephone. Might get cell service from some of the higher peaks now days. The work center runs on generators. Fire crew work on a district crew is easy and not dangerous. There is a lot of fun hiking and trail clearing to do before fire season kicks off.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Tell her to visit Montana...........specifically...............the site of the "Little Big Horn" Battlefield.

A visit to that site will make a grown man cry.

And the museum that they have is outstanding.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******

Never having a daughter, I feel for you in your predicament Kasey. About all I can add to what has been said is that I do have an older sister who pretty much went through the same stuff only about 50+ years ago.

Right out of high school she, along with a girl friend headed west and ended up in Mountain View CA. There she found work doing high tech (at the time) micro welding at a Philco Plant. Pretty sure she lived a wild life for a while but came home just for a short visit after a year or two and while here she met "Mr. Right" who was an Air Force sgt. stationed about 20miles out of our home town at a radar tracking base. They ended up getting married and have enjoyed over 50 very successful years together.

Strange thing is.....He was born and raised in Mountain View CA! 😮

• Options

You are too sweet.....I'll pass your offer on. She is so funny. I was talking to her the other day about her ideas and pointed out (again) that if she would just get a room mate in her cabin and plan things out she'd probably be ready to head out about the same time the dangerously cold weather was over. She didn't like hearing that. She hears "its dangerous and I don't think you can do it"....no matter what words come out of my mouth.

Some time ago my son threatened to take off toward Colorado. He actually said to me....."I'll just stay in my car if I have to for a while". When I pointed out that he had no clue what a REAL winter was like and he would die in his car he thought a little more about it and stayed here. Kids are so funny.....especially the "grown" ones.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

If she goes to California I can get her a job at Disneyland possibly as a princess. She is pretty enough but they have a time commitment which she has problems with staying in one place for very long.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Alaska or bust!

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I spent three weeks at Disney doing an install and I would not want to work there. That was a screwed-up place.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

Working in theme parks has to rank far down the list for desirable employment opportunities.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Northern Commifornia (Ferndale) beautiful place... But tell your daughter I'm going east lol to Texas maybe and I own a little house in independence Kansas... And sometimes I dream of Alabama.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Come to Utah...the Mormons are not bad. National Parks, aspen meadows, desert climate, low crime, powder skiing. A lot to do here and a very firearm friendly state. Right to carry, too.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

My son just got back from a two month trip from California to NJ. He visited all the state parks while camping and hiking. He had an absolute blast. He did stay in hotels about once a week for a soft bed. He loved Northern California the best. He also camped at area 51 for a couple days. He loved Colorado, South Dakota and Montana. He was looking for a place where he wanted to live. If you would like, I can give you his number, and your daughter can call him. He did visit Las Vegas , San Diego and a couple other big cities, but mostly traveled around to remote towns and wilderness areas. He would love to share his thoughts and travels with your daughter. Chris is very easy to talk to. He is 28 and has a good head on his shoulders and very intelligent. You can email me.Oakie

PS, we were worried sick when he told us of his plans. He went with our blessings though, because he was gonna do it either way. I'm glad he had the opportunity to do, what I couldn't when I was younger. Let her go Kasey and just remind her to call or text at least once a day or two. You can also give her a tracking device to put in her handbag and car. We gave Chris several of these, so we knew where he was at all the time. This way, if we didn't hear from him in a while, we could contact a local authority.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Another option, U.S. Military will get her where she wants to go

• Options

I wish all three of mine would have joined. I loved my time in the Navy.

I'm passing all of this on to her. She loves all the input and it SERIOUSLY thinking about everything