In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Meet the B21 Raider

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

This has gathered a lot of press, certainly for strategic deterrent value.

The acquisition strategy is 100 of these into service over the next 30 years.

over $600 million a bird in 2022 dollars….

Extra shout out to the USAF for the birds namesake, the Doolittle Raiders, had they followed Navy Tradition it would have been named after a politician.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

That design is very similar to the fastest UFOs I've ever seen. Cool.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Bah! More welfare checks for the military industrial complex. Obsolete before the prototype was built, it will end up so expensive it will never be allowed to take off, for fear of losing it. Our enemies use ICBM's; the hypersonic ones are even faster, & we have nothing to shoot them down.

A terrible waste.

Neal

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

So you favor hiding under your desk, Neal?

Obsolete? Neal, the B-21 is so far ahead of ANY other aircraft, it is a literal game changer. And at half the price of the B-2.

You're also bass ackwards about hypersonics versus ICBM warheads.

Facts are facts and bias is bias. Nothing can change either one.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

IMO, it is nice to see our tax money being spent here for US and our defense than seeing it being given away to foreigners!

That is all I have to say about that.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Very cool plane. If they had named it the Dolittle, they could have hit two birds with one stone: naming it after the Raiders and every politician.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

And china will shoot it out of the sky with their orbital weapons platforms.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Older is better in a way. Basically all stealth bombers are just flying computers relying on electronics to give them stability while flying, any small nuclear air burst close to the plane would render it uncontrollable due to electro magnetic pulse created by the blast. This is possibly why China wants to up their nuclear arsenal in an attempt to stop a retaliatory strike from the air.

Remember in doctor strange love, the old B-52 took a beaten and kept on ticking. LOL.

• Options
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that while they're phasing out the B-2 and the B-1's, they're phasing in the B-21 and keeping the B-52's.

I imagine when the last B-21 goes to the boneyard the '52's will still be in the air!

As for an EMP knocking one of these planes down, I read once that all the electronics on the B-52's were shielded somehow against an EMP. I can't imagine the designers wouldn't have taken similar measures with the B-21.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Every military platform is hardened for EMP. I know, because I've worked on so many of them.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

The Warthog is very simple, efficient and highly successful compared to other military planes, ask any ground troops what they'd rather see on the horizon, yet the politicians thousands of miles away know what's best and want to moth-ball those planes......Ba-Humbug to that.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder if we can sneak Brittney Griner back in to Russia on one?

Chute optional.

+1 on the A-10. THE BEST ground attack aircraft ever developed. Did quite a bit of aerial photography at the Fairchild plant/airport on the A-10, in Hagerstown, MD. (While an Army Photographer) stationed pretty close by, in the 1980-84 time frame. (At their request.) Had the Clearance, did quite a bit of Aerial photography.

Those are some Seriously Bad Boys. 👍

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

She's definitely pulling her weight, the others above would be too costly to keep and maintain 😀

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be all for Ground Troops/Combat Arms, getting to Vote on what Weapons systems they'd like to see stick around. (That would be the prudent thing to do, right?) 🤔

You can bet your ***, the A-10 would be in the top 5.

• Options

The B52 is one of those things the US military really has done well and Congress has managed not to screw it up.

That said, you couldn’t fly a B52 over Beijing tomorrow and the B21 was designed to go anywhere and get home uncontested.