In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk replacement- Bell 280 Valor

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin

It ain't Great Grandpappy's biplane, that's for sure!

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a very complicated drive arrangement. I think Bell tried something like this in the 50s. Technically much improved one would assume.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

The major issue with those is loss of one engine. You have to have a cross-link drive that allows the good engine to power both rotors.

It was pretty much solved decades ago with the Chinook helicopter. That heavy lifter uses two engines that run a single transmission, which in turn runs two drive shafts to the front and rear rotors.

The V-22 is set up a bit differently, but there is still a crosslink drive shaft between the two engine/rotor pods.

The whole point of tilt-rotors is cruise speed. Helicopters are limited in how fast they can go by the fact that the blade on one side is moving backward relative to the airflow. At some point, that blade has zero airspeed, and thus zero lift.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the V-280 will have the shaft linking the two props.

Almost 82 feet wide. How wide is a Blackhawk?

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

I remembered back when all those Ospreys were crashing. I thought they cancelled them altogether. Then I saw them flying out of Djibouti when I was there.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ospreys are still flying here, see them almost daily. They are not in combat though.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******
    edited December 2022

I can't believe they picked that complicated mess over the Sikorsky Defiant X. A much better design, IMO.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

It's no where near 82 feet. I can't imagine trying to get that thing into the same spaces as a Blackhawk. The body of a Blackhawk is 21 feet with extended range tanks installed, and the main rotor is 53 feet 8 inches in diameter. So this thing is enormous in comparison.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭

From the Wiki;

4th line down, Width: 81.79 ft. I'm assuming that's rotor tip to rotor tip and the props are 35 feet in diameter.

General characteristics

• Crew: 4
    • Capacity: 14 troops
    • Length: 50.5 ft (15.4 m)
    • Width: 81.79 ft (24.93 m)
    • Height: 23 ft 0 in (7 m)
    • Empty weight: 18,078 lb (8,200 kg)
    • Max takeoff weight: 30,865 lb (14,000 kg)
    • Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce AE 1107F[54] turboshaft
    • Propellers: 35 ft 0 in (10.7 m) diameter

I just looked it up and a Chinook is 99 ft tip to tip with 60' diameter props.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing feat of engineering that I prefer not to be in.

• Options

Yep. And the chinook is no blackhawk. Of course the Chinook is one of the fastest helos out there, so there's that, but they certainly don't fly the same missions as the blackhawk.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

You can hear a Chinook coming(or going) for MILES! I would assume that this smaller version is only slightly less loud. The Blackhawk will be around for years to come. MOST of our Air Force fleet are VERY old, but they are tried and true also!

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

Actually the Chinook flies all the Blackhawk missions and also the missions the Blackhawk can't fly.

I worked on both, we called the Blackhawk a lawn dart.

I thought the Defiant with counterrotating rotors would get the award.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

One would assume the final configuration will have a pivoting wing and rotor blades like the Osprey to allow for transport in a C-5 or C-17.

Prototypes always seem to look cleaner and more efficient than the final product.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder how those stack up against the Blackhawk in terms of "Survivability in a Crash?" I know the Blackhawk was Way up there, I understand in large part to their shock absorbing landing gear.

My Brother went down in one (Blackhawk) in Desert Storm. He was Pilot. 160th SOAR (Special Operations Air Regiment) of the 101st. He was inserting a Delta team in the dark prior to the kick off. Flying knap of the earth with Night Vision, when a Sand Storm hit them. Kissed a dune with the nose and cartwheeled it. Saw images of the crash from above and on the ground. No one should have got out.

Brother put his face through the windshield, broke both ankles, etc. Came to hanging from he seat straps, trying to figure out why his fingers were in the sand. Got himself out and managed to drag one or two with him despite his injuries.

Not sure how many died. It's not something he talks about.