In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

There really is a stupid tax in life.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Being in the business I am in lets me see a lot of different issues with vehicles. One feller is paying an $8,000.00 stupid tax to one of my customers for a new motor. The guy just paid off his Jeep this month. The motor sounded like a box of hammers being tossed about.

When my customer pulled the valve cover the oil sludge was so bad it left the form of the valve cover standing in the sludge. The owner who must be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist had never changed the oil or filter. Now he gets to pay the stupid tax for being, well stupid.

Junk yard motors are actually $1,000 more than a new rebuild from Jasper. The market is short on motors due to people not caring for their vehicles and keeping them longer. I see many cars with no oil on the dip sticks at the shops I go to. YouTube has a series called "Just Rolled In". If you have not seen it you will understand why there is a stupid tax and why people vote (D).

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

IMO, the stupid tax needs to be a lot higher than it is.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Back 50 years ago (stone age) a high school friends dad owned a service station where we hung out occasionally. One day this young lady brought in her car that she said just wasn't running right. She said she knew it wasn't the oil because it was low and she had just filled it. Yupp, she filled it all right, all the way up to the filler cap. She was kinda cute, but this dipstick had never heard of a dipstick.😁 Bob

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

Some dipsticks are attached to the 710 cap.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand people that buy a $70000+ vehicle and never raise the hood until it sounds horrible,smokes, steams or quits running.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure we had a member here that never changed his oil. He only added oil and possibly changed the filter. P3 comes to mind.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

I'm OK with the tax on stupid. However, what irks me is they expect me to fix it.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

Sister recently picked up a new LandRover Defender. It’s got a sensor for everything (including the depth of the water in the river you’re about to cross)! Dealer says no need to check anything unless you get a caution lite…just bring it in on the maintenance interval…and we’ll fleece the bejesus out of you.

Not me…I still check fluids, etc weekly in all my vehicles. Old habits die hard.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Your sister may regret buying that LandRover purchase. They have "issues". I hope no issues crop up but following idiot lights makes you, well I won't say it. She needs to make dang sure she changes oil at 3,000 miles and no more than 5,000 thereafter. That is an expensive rig to maintain and even more spendy to repair.

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

At work we had a guy maintain all the ford rangers, checked fluids, changed oil. He quit and we ran the rangers and thinking the supervisor had someone else maintain them. I had a premonition one day about my engine, i checked the dipstick, and the oil barely touched the bottom tip, my buddy's ranger had no oil on the dipstick. I filled them both, took 3 quarts each. The manager refused to buy us replacement trucks, as his motto was, they have to get down to zero value. We had the college name on all our trucks, this is an ivy league school and all our trucks has rust holes, dents, cracked windshields and they looked like hell.

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

I check my oil everything I fill the gas tank. I don't have much else to do while I'm waiting for the tank to fill.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

crysler jeep dodge stellantis motors have overly small oil drain back holes causing sludge too

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

I never check my oil, I get oil change every 3000 on my 2007 Grand Cherokee. It doesn't use any , has 222,222 miles .

I've heard those darn Jeeps are junks

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Flashback- old memory of things I learned from my Dad. When interviewing potential heavy equipment operator, take him out to a dozer, tell him to go thru startup procedures, then move a pile of dirt from here to there. If he failed to check OIL and WATER before cranking engine, he just failed interview.

One of my vehicles is an 85 Ford F-150, original engine, right at 300,000 miles. And yes, I pop the hood when filling the gas tank. But yeah, some folks are going to be paying the Stupid Tax.