In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Contacting Social Security

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Is a hoot, NOT. Spent an hour on hold, told the lady my 2021 wages were not showing up in my SSI account. Then the call dropped. The voice on hold said they serve 50 million Americans. So what, Bank of America has 67 million customers and the wait is seldom over 5 minutes to speak to a human.

I don't know what to do to get this mess fixed but believing in government to do anything of value for the US Citizen is a utter waste of life energy.

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

may have to drive to local office and request in person interview, I know its a hassle but at least you can fix it face to face...........not sure if they are doing walk-ins or not, I used to take a book and read for the hour or so...........

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Yea, that is what I figured. Going to Athens Ohio for the local office makes me cringe. Athens OH is chock full of Hillary, Obama and Biden loving Marxists. I guess to get what I earned into the system I must suffer the stupidity of Government.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Bruce, you never mentioned that strange music they play while you are forever holding. For me, it was enough to nearly find that part of my brain where stark-raving madness lurks! Pretty sure the SS administration got that music right out of the torcher chamber warehouse! 😫

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

I was once told by a person at the VA they had to answer the phone in X amount of minutes as the higher ups averaged the wait time and if it got to high those down the ladder got chewed out for it. I am sure this goes on in all gov't offices who deal with the public over the phone. I think that is why you get disconnected after the 20-30 minute or hour or whatever they deem acceptable wait, it keeps their wait/hold time down as you are no longer on hold..........

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Bruce I just went on line to my ss account to see if you could do it there, no luck must either call them or visit a "local office"

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

..."drive to local office and request in person interview, I know its a hassle but at least you can fix it face to face"

...Yep, FAR BETTER... actually easier since you can speak to a human face to face and RESOLVE the problem...I wont set on the phone for hours...

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Before I make such a call that I know is going to be a long wait on hold, I make good and sure I have a household chore to do like making something in the kitchen. (I sometimes like to cook) When the call is made, I put the landline phone on speaker, set it down somewhere close and get busy.

I have been cut off many times but usually start over if what I need to do is important. Being retired with time on my hands sure does have its advantages!

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

You don't want to go to a local Social Security office without an appointment; you may have to wait for hours.

You can get an appointment over the phone. Better to spend your wait time at home.

Neal

UPDATE ON SOCIAL SECURITY FIELD OFFICES --- You can no longer phone SS for an office appointment; current instructions are: Go to you local office, sign in & wait your turn. Proof/evidence can be left in an envelope, if you have been instructed to do so.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I was actually talking to the ebonics expert on the phone when CLICK, she was gone. The wait to get disconnected was about an hour of the worst "music" and a soft male voice telling me how busy they are every minute or two. The soft male voice said earlier they were having problems with calls getting disconnected so he apologized in advance. I am sure 87,000 more people and upgrading to dial phones from the Mabel plug and wire switchboard might help but it would take another 50-100 billion bucks to fix the phone system.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭

It probably hasn't been entered in to the system. Those numbers come from the IRS.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Are we at all surprised it's difficult? Why would the government want to give us money back?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Please be patient, the representative is serving 100s of others first,,,

Like so many agencies / business they too are extremely short staffed