In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

41 Long Colt

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭

Ran into a Colt SAA in 41 Long Colt. Ammo is scarce and expensive when you can find it. Can this be converted to 38 Special and any recommendations on who might be able to perform the work. I know minimum it is a cylinder and barrel exchange. TIA

Comments

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Could be done, but I'm curious as to why? A Colt SAA in .41 long colt converted to .38 special would lose all of the collector value, which could be significant if the gun is in decent condition.

• Options

Gun has 0 percent finish and bore is dark black. Looks like it was fired with black powder cartridges and not cleaned. Apparently, at some time it was used as a hammer.

The gun has sentimental value and now the choice is between making it a wall hanger due to ammunition availibility and gun condition or using it as a working firearm. The 41 Long Colt is a 38 power level cartridge and after reading everything I can find about the cartridge is not known for its accuracy. Its primary purpose seems to be close range defense.

Just considering the options.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

To the best of my un-expert knowledge, the external measurements of the Colt SAA are all the same. The only difference is the size of the holes drilled for the different calibers. I think you have a good idea. A new cylinder and barrel would give you a good shooter. Possible to have the barrel relined depending on the cost. You should determine if it is a black powder frame. Any good gunsmith could do the job. Good luck.

Don't let the "collector" mindset dissuade you. Back in the 30's to the 50's there was a group that did all kinds of changes to the Colt SAA's.

• Options

I figured that might be the case. It's one thing to have sentimental value but another to use something that has sentimental value.