In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

460 Rowland opinions wanted...

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here have a 460 Rowland? If so, what gun is it in, do you like it, do you reload for it? Looking to convert one of my 1911's to 460 Rowland.

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,462 ✭✭✭✭

I had a converted Glock for awhile and used Buffalo Bore ammo. I ended up giving the gun to my brother and just went back to a Revolver for my woods gun The gun shot ok I'm just not into the bottom feeder type of gun I always return to the revolver

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

As @Ricci.Wright would say - "Too Big for your Tiny Little Hands." 🤔😉😂🤣

• Options
    edited December 2022

The 460 Rowland woods gun replacement Ruger Vaquero 45 colt loaded with some +p 300 grains at 1300 fps

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I'm leaning towards the 1911 style for the ability to put more rounds on target, 10 vs. 6 from a revolver, much faster than a revolver. I'm a S&W guy and don't own any Rugers, and they have a lower SAAMI operating pressure, so the high powered Buffalo Bore and the Underwood stuff is out of the question.

• Options

that was more a response to the other post that Ruger is definetly a handful to handle with the full power loads

• Options

When I had the glock conversion it did not like the flat nose ammo as long as I stayed with hollow points it feed reliably

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I've got (or had) one, a modified 1911. It came in a bundled buy with a couple other guns I wanted. It also came with ~75 rounds. Myself and a few experienced shooter friends compared it fairly well with my solid collection of 10mm's. In the end, I stuck with my 10mm's. Really, the only thing the Rowland has over the 10mm is projectile diameter.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,334 ******

If it were me (and yes, I did make this decision myself), I'd just go 10 mm and have a field day with all the available loadings and platforms. Most Alaskan guides have switched away from revolvers to 10 mm for the extra capacity. And 10 mm loads can hit HARD.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain