In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ohaus to the rescue!

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

Did you know there is a nationwide shortage of Children's Tylenol? My nephew and his wife and little girl (3) came up for Christmas from Arizona and the poor little girl got sick. She's been running a pretty high fever and just generally feeling crummy. Sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing. All the signs of a good time. My wife and nephew ran to town this morning to get some kid strength Tylenol (160 mg) but couldn't find any in Kalispell. They were gone for hours looking for this medicine.

I got to looking around at what we had here in the house and there was nothing close to 160 mg but we did have some 650 mg Tylenol caplets. Hmmm.... 650/4=162.5, close enough! Did you know that you can't cut a Tylenol caplet into 4 even chunks? I finally had the light bulb go off and went and dug through my as yet unpacked reloading gear and got out my Ohaus scale. Got it all set up and weighed a caplet, 12 grains. 12/4=3, OK, crush the pills up, dribble the powder into the scale and weigh each 'charge' to 3 grains. Dumped each 'charge' onto a 2"x2" square of parchment paper and carefully folded it up to contain the crushed up Tylenol. My neice-in-law mixed a dose into the kiddo's juice and she drank it down just fine and it sounds like the fever is coming down. Whew! I'm really glad there wasn't any law enforcement that stopped by just to say howdy 'cause it looked like we had a drug packaging operation going right there in the kitchen! LOL!

If you've got a sick kid and can't find the children's Tylenol you might give this a try.

Reloading gear! Not just for bullets anymore!

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

good for you . some times just good old common sense and a life of experience comes in handy

I do hope she gets well soon

we have split pills for years for our self and especially for the pets I do not remember doing the kids pills that was but that was a long time ago. some pills have a 1/2 line formed into them just for that purpose

now take this with a grain of salt... the manufactures ( of course ) warn not to do it as when you split the pill it may not be a even mix of meds and fillers ? my guess to keep people from doing it forcing us to buy lower dose or more drugs

same with antibiotics buy in liquid form at a farm store for way less than a vet charges and follow directions

and a lot of nmeds cross over between people and animals as the same but again be care full some can hurt or kill your pets example dang cats are special and sensitive LOL

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Good job. Hope the little one is 100% real soon.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

Good old fashioned American ingenuity, I love it. You did good.