In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glasses, UGHHHHHH

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

So I finally broke down and got glasses. I just can see anything close, anymore. I cannot get use to wearing them. Everything seems to be, "Wavy" and distorted. Eye doc said I will get use to them. They are bifocals. The upper glass is clear, for driving and the bottom is for reading and seeing close up. Damn things are giving me a headache. How long does this adjustment period take??? Oak

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭

Three or 4 weeks should do it . Eventually it will be second nature to know how to hold your head. At least that's what it took me many years ago.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******

It took me about a month. I was always cleaning them and cleaning them. Eventually you get used to the smudges too. Next go round, look into progressive lenses. They are way better than bi-focals because there is no sharp transition.

Probably the hardest thing to get used to is trying to navigate stairs and ladders. You end up looking through the magnification and everything loses proper depth of focus. Good luck and welcome to the club. I am only about 3 years ahead of you on it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 55 years ahead of you but I am very thankful for the development of progressive lenses. Can't draw a comparison with you just getting glasses but me changing over to progressives only took about a day. If you are only using your glasses for close up it will quickly become second nature to tilt your head properly without conscious effort. A young person will adjust in a week or so but us old farts take longer. Something about teaching a old dog new tricks comes to mind.😀 Bob

• Options

Not really a spring chicken. 60 years old. Guess this old fart will get use to them sooner or later. Oh, and these are progressive lenses my wife said, not bifocals. LOL. The tilting head part is what also bothers me, but I do like seeing stuff clearly again. 😁

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭

I remember what the old doctor told me first time I got bifocals. he told me to point my nose at what I wanted to see instead of moving my eyes. Has allways worked for me........

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,013 ******
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I started with the drug store readers & had pairs everywhere so I didn't have to carry them. Then I went to what you have so I didn't have to keep looking for them. Even tried tri-focals but now there's just prescription top and bottom. Of course, the bottom part is set for arms length. Good for computers & front sights. I didn't like progressives as you always had to be looking straight ahead to maintain focus.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭

I hear ya.

i would suggest a pair of cheaters , just bottoms ( readers ) that you put on when needed ask for your prescription and get at the drug store for just reading books or iPad or close work

Also I asked for my prescription and got a cheap pair for the tv that don’t have the bottom reader part so when I recline it’s not weird. They stay at my chair.

oh and I got a pair of sunglasses…

and a pair of intermediate that are good for the computer.

it’s a bit@# but I have some bad genes as far as eyes go …

ros

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't wear glasses until I was 50. It was hard to get use to them as I found myself trying to focus on the glasses themselves. Yeah, sounds weird. As Joe said, stairs are not your friend - especially desending. It took 2-3 months to get the hang of it. Now, 30 years later I don't feel right without them.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,363 ******
    edited January 2023

Being near-sighted since birth, been wearing glasses since horn rims were in vouge. Some 60 years I guess. My first eye doctor was born in the 1800's. I did have trouble adjusting to my first set of bi-focals a little over 10 years ago. Took about 3 weeks. Being a side sleeper, trying to watch TV in the bedroom still has its problems. I now just slide them down my nose to see through the top of the lenses. I didn't care for progressives when they first came out. Had a pair made and returned them for regular bi's after just a couple days.

Without my glasses I feel naked. There are grooves on both sides of my skull caused by them, along with deep permanent dimples on both sides of my nose. 😲

I always buy large lens aviator type glasses that also protect my eyes. Been many a near incident that could have been traumatic if not for those specs!!!

• Options

My glasses have come in handy several times by deflecting stuff that could have caused harm. 3 or 4 times on the skeet field pieces of broken targets have bounced off my glasses, usually from a fast incoming target like station 8. In that regard, I guess me having poor vision has come in handy. I don't have a lot of patience with shooters who won't wear eye protection. Bob

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭

Same happened to me, just couldn't adjust to bifocals. I finally just had them make me two separate pairs of glasses , one for reading and one for distance. No need to wear your reading glasses for anything but reading.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭

And don’t use a tissue to clear glasses , they are made of wood!

Use a cloth or else they will get micro scratches and get hazy.

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I used to get different coatings on my glasses but they scratched & got hazy too easily. So, I found that you can use a glass etching cream (like Armour Etch) on PLASTIC lenses. It cleans off the scratched coatings and doesn't affect the plastic lenses. I removed the lenses from the metal frames for the quick process & voila, new specs.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭

Took me a couple weeks to get used to my trifocal progressives. Only downside I've found is you can't have a small glass frame...there needs to be enough lens to have the three zones. Good thing I'm old and married...no need to wear hip spectacles!

Related note: I also have a pair of bifocal progressives that are set for reading (bottom) and computer (top). Think about it...Simply amazing.

• Options

I'm going to have to give that a try. I try to wear old glasses when I am outside working but forget to do so half the time. It seems no matter how carefully you wash off the dust and grit before wiping the lenses, scratches happen. A month ago I was picking up a new pair and asked the girl why I bothered paying for a scratch resistant coating if I always ended up scratching them any way. She looked at my old pair and said your scratches are in the non reflective coating that's on top of the scratch resistant coating. Told her that seems to be a bit counterproductive to not have the scratch coating on top and she apologized and said there was nothing they could do about it. Either it is optically necessary to do it that way or it is built in obsolescence to get you buying new glasses faster. I suspect the latter. Bob

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭

I also had a pair of computer glasses made up, but next time I'm going to have them single vision. I find myself tilting my head down not up to see the keyboard.

If you do this, make sure you accurately measure the distance from your eyes to the monitor. I made a guess at armslength plus six inches and that's exactly where my 'pooter glasses focus - but upon actually measuring, I find I should have said an arm and a foot, LOL! The Doc did an great job calculating the prescripto, it was my guesstiwag that was off.

btw, I use zenni.com

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Don't forget we see with our brains.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Ken takes his out and cleans it.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Just Sitting here minding my own business, when Blam!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,363 ******

I just lost that tiny, super tiny micro screw that holds the bow to the main frame yesterday as I was unfolding my current pair from off the stand next to my computer. I heard it hit the floor but know it must have bounced around some and is now probably hiding in the realm of spirits, dust bunnies, and phantom left socks!

Problem with those things is even if found, the newer versions are even smaller than those of old! Putting one back in place takes a micro bio scientist with intricate tiny tools, superhuman vision, and fingers of an 8 year old ballerina! 😵

• Options
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I tried getting used to glasses for 45 years and never really adapted. Two years ago, I had bifocal implants installed. Now I can wear all the designer sunglasses and can even read the instruments on my motorcycle as I ride. Only regret, wish I had done it 40 years ago.

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

Incase my reply to your PM did not make it the response is below.

The cost for the bifocal implant lenses was $6000, dollars, surgery was covered by my Medicare insurance. Dr (Dr. Clayton G. Blehm, MD | Gainesville, GA | Ophthalmologist | ) did the surgery. Eyes were uncovered in 3 days, and medication (eye drops), were continued for 30 days. Hope this information is helpful.

• Options

Thats a good picture of you though @Oakie

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I'm all for anything that helps cover up your face/head @Oakie.

*Just kidding you Brother. Say "Hello," to Chris Streett for me. 👍

(Just sent Chris a text.)

• Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Do yourself a favor , sit down and dind a small focal point and look at it square on .move your head up and down while focusing on said object, need to determine if the change of progression in the lenses is not too high up in the glass. the last pair I got had me looking right at the edge of progression at regular position.

• Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Be sure to get shatterproof lenses. These failed when I ran them through the brush cutter while mowing pasture. I was swatting at a bee, got my glasses.😎

standard.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I started wearing glasses in 1st grade I was failing they realized I could not see the black board well enough to read any of it

too many stories along the way but I did RK surgery in 1994 with high hopes it was a flop I am so sorry for the it . my eyes will never be good . and never had to stop wearing glasses just added to my problems , several yrs ago I had cataracts remover I had high hopes they could help with my vision as they can do wonders now . well not me the RK surgery left too many scars for them to attempt much and well that's what I got not enough change to make any difference

I am way to rough on glasses no matter how had I try even when I try and have two pair going to use for working and one for general use I end up with all them scratched and looking like 80 grit sand paper got to them

lost track of how many I have broken stepped on ran over

I went to no line bi focals many yrs ago at first it was a clown show for any one watching me up and down stairs among other things

and yes bush hogs do like to shred glasses trust me on that one also

good luck and be glad you had great vision most of your life