In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

That "Atmospheric River"

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

The TV channels have been wide-eyed and panicked about the weather systems hitting California. They say "Atmospheric River" at least every other sentence. Listen, if San Fran got even half of the predicted "massive flooding" just maybe it flushed the streets. I use "flushed" deliberately.

Anywho, the first wave of that storm has now reached Utah. We had rain turning to snow overnight, and now turning to "snudge". That's my term for snow that turns to sludge upon ground contact. It's ugly out there. So far .88" of it and climbing fast.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

If they don't keep promoting the extreme "the weather is going to kill us" line, who would believe the lie about catastrophic climate change?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Rocky, it would be an interesting flight to putter around in a Cessna near some of those "atmospheric rivers!" Fasten your seat belt would bring on new meaning.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

I saw where one of the deaths attributed to this weather was a young woman whose car hydroplaned on a partially flooded road and crashed into a utility pole.

• Options

Having done so in Asia, I agree wholeheartedly.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

It was the lead story last night on ABC News with David Muir. ATMOSPHERIC RIVER IN CALIFORNIA!

It will rain in San Francisco, and it will snow in the Sierra Nevada! Caused, of course, by Climate Change.

"Sierra Nevada" in Spanish means "Snowy Mountains." Evidently, the Spanish saw lots of snow there, when they named he place 300 years ago. Those ignorant Conquistadors didn't know about Climate Change.

ABC did throw in, at the end of the story, that this would help break the dry spell, and the "catastrophic" Atmospheric River would benefit farmers.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I believe everything Stephanie Abrams tells me.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I rather like her with the volume at 0. But she's not even in Jen Carfagno's league.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭

Bob, It's a little known fact that men in the mid 1800's burned way too much fossil fuel for heat and cooking. Hence the beginning of climate change. Signed, C. Clavin

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******

Got real foggy here. It's like smoke on the water, of an atmospheric river. I hope we'll be ok.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

Pretty sure ole Willie Nelson could just change a few words to his hit song "Whiskey River" and become a WOKE superstar overnight! 🤠😳

• Options
    edited January 2023

Ended up with right at 1.25" from that first one here. That's huge for Utah. And there are at least two or three more waves of that river coming. May it last.

The Farmer's Almanac said Utah would have a cooler and drier winter - just what we did NOT need. I'm glad the Old Farmer was full of beans.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

When anyone brings up "Climate Change", see if you can say this with a straight face:

"Well of COURSE this is messing up the weather greatly. And you KNOW what is causing all this. WIND TURBINES. Before they started putting these up everywhere, the winds were free to blow, and spread out the rain and snow across the country. But NOW they have those things everywhere- and want to build more- and they are slowing the winds down. So all the rain gets dumped in one spot. And since the winds generally blow West to East, the wind pushing against the turbines is slowing down the rotation of the earth. If we don't change this within the next 10 years, the earth will turn slower, and eventually, stop turning. That will leave part of the world permanently in the dark. I saw that on PBS."

Just see what the reaction is. But if you can keep a straight face, some of them will agree. Odds are a couple will say they saw the same program on PBS.

👎️

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭

I watch "Mysteries of the Abandoned" on TV. It's about abandoned structures around the world, what they were used for and why they were abandoned.

Anywho, there's an abandoned fish processing factory in Djúpavík Iceland. The TV voice said it closed because the fish changed their migration route because of climate change! This was in the late 1940's!

Now, Algore says....

• Options

To be fair, the climate has been changing without interruption for more than three billion years. It has gone from no oceans to all oceans, from no ice to all ice - and every gradual stage between. For 99.99% of that time, there were no humans at all.

IF - and that's a huge word - human activity has an effect on the climate, the only way to change that is to eliminate humans. I suggest that the most strident of climate fanatics volunteer first.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭

Welll....... There is the theory that we are overdue for another, at least mini, ice age. Seems like a little global warming isn't a bad thing if it prevents it. Of course if it ever happens, the shivering, starving fanatics with their last gasping breath will blame it on humans, but be happy for the polar bears. Bob

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

All those windmills could be countered with masses of huge sails placed everywhere. That would give the planet a push in the right direction. 🤔🤓😹

I'm still trying to figure out just what good throwing money at those save the planet from climate change organizations will do?? Conducting studies seems to spend some of it and lining pockets takes care of most of it!

• Options

Bobjudy, the fact is that we are between ice ages. There have been many ice ages going back tens of millions of years. Between each and every one of them, it got warmer, starting when the ice was thickest - which started the melting - and ending when cooling started again.

The question is: How close are we to the warm maximum - and on which side of it? It is a certainty that there will be another ice age. When it starts to cool, we'll know approximately when that will be. Ask me in 1,000 years and I'll be able to tell you for sure.

• Options

Just 24,000 years ago the ice sheet over Manhattan was 7,000 feet deep.

The year 12,000 AD, now that was some Global Warming! Libs don't want to talk about that.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭

You might want to mark your calender for getting back to me a little farther in the future.😀

If, and that is a big if, humans have managed to change the climate, perhaps a little warming beats a lot of cooling. Some scientists believe drastic cooling periods, (ice ages) are brought on by the reduction of CO2 in the atmosphere. If the climate cult gets it's way it will get a lot colder. Just another example of alarmist cults not looking at all of the ramifications of their actions. Fortunately, I'll never live long enough to see who is right, but I maintain that a couple of degrees rise in temp is better than me having to move nearer the equator because glaciers have reclaimed most of North America. Remember, I live in Michigan and the Great Lakes are a product of ice ages/glaciation so I imagine the next ice age would be more of the same. Bob

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I grew up in Reno and can speak to the weather with experienced authority.

That 300 year old snow was different because it wasn't invented to cause panic stricken citizens to jump on the civilization-

saving green slimed politicians' money wagons.

Besides, she won't date me anyway.😉

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭

Where I’m standing here in Illinois there was over 100 foot of ice ten thousand years ago, so what happened? All weather and weather change is a direct effect of the sun, not because of man’s activity’s. It is not possible for man to change the weather even if he wanted to. This climate change is all a fabrication intended to put a tax on the very air we breath, and to control man’s activity and behavior.

So how is this done if you or I don’t buy into it. You start by teaching it to young people in school, and if they hear it long enough over time they will believe it. After all there was a time when we all believed in Santa Claus when we where young.

Now as far as television giving me the weather, it’s all about sensationalizing weather so you will hang by the television and watch their commercials. Just give me and old time weather briefing and let me make my own decisions as to what’s coming my way.

• Options

Follow the money.

• Options

my volcano will save me from ice cover

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

The atmosphere has to warm up so that it more ocean water will be evaporated and remain in the air. Then when the normal cold cycle returns, all that water condenses and falls back to earth as snow. Next ice age. Happens about every 10,000 years or so.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

I hate to tell yall, but the way people are living their lives on earth.........I dint think humanity will last another 1,000 years. And it has NOTHING to do with climate change.

Just sayin'

• Options

On that five minute story on ABC News the other night, lead story, they went on four 4 1/2 minutes of the horrors of a flood in San Francisco, and a threatening snow-pack un the Snowy Mountains. Just at the very end they tossed in, as an aside, that this would benefit farmers. The benefit of the precip was incidental

If you watched ABC News last summer, they went on and on about the record drought and how Climate Change was destroying California agriculture.

With this current rain storm, they could have emphasized the benefits. DROUGHT IS BROKEN!! HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR CALIFORNIA ALMOND FARMS!

But the Lib media plays up the negative aspects of the weather.

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky,

Do you ever get any of the “lake effect “ snow storms where you are?

I have seen some serious accumulation in a short period while waiting to catch a flight out of SLC during a “lake effect “ storm, they don’t last long but they really put it down.

Mule

• Options

Yes,but most of those miss us and hit south of us more towards salt lake city.

• Options

Years back I attended a Aircraft load planner course in Ogden. It was clean and pretty.

• Options
  • Options

Joe, I have lvied here for 36 years now, and can't think of a better place. It isn't perfect, mind you, but I'll finish my days here.

• Options

Also been to Salt Lake city for a wedding. It was at the time of rebuilding the interstates for the Olympics. Oh my the traffic.

The city was very nice and quickly figuring out the layout made finding an address a actual game for us. I.E., 4 blocks down, 6 blocks over ect, we drove around like we were from there.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

I like to say that you can put a camera on self-timer and merely throw it in the air to get "postcard" pictures.

• Options

Rocky,

You ever head East and go up over Monte Christo to Woodruff then north to Bear Lake and back down Logan canyon?

Mule