In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Couple of game cam pics, no monsters

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭✭

I'm truly hoping this little fox has an entire family somewhere. Red foxes have a soft spot in my heart. My grandfather was a fox hunter. He would call my mom in the evening before he released the hounds so we could sit outside and listen to the races.

We were in Germany in 1991. I was driving to the hospital to pick up my late husband from the hospital. He had hernia surgery and was ready to come home. A red fox crossed the road in front of me, paused, looked at me and then continued on. Got a call later that day that my grandfather had passed away. I believe it was him saying goodbye. Had never seen a fox in Germany and never saw another one. We were there 8 years.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭

Foxes are so beautiful. Very wary guys, you rarely see one in the woods.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,160 ******

Nice pictures. Sad and cool story. Yes, I can believe it.

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭

...Over many years I have spent a LOT of time in the woods & high desert/mountains of west Texas hunting all types of game...and I have ONLY seen half of a fox, ever! I was sitting on a 200' cliff edge hunting over the confluence of two small rivers when this fox ran between two big boulders...saw it just in time to catch the back half with tail...would love to see a whole one in the wild...😊

In all the deer hunting I did in Georgia, and I killed over 90 whitetail, I saw a fox only once. He walked slowly past my tree stand at a distance of 15 feet. Beautiful animal with that big bushy red tail. He looked like a slender dog but he moved like a cat.

I guess tree stands are good because he was unaware I was there. What a beautiful animal.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭

We have a couple come in our small town and I have seen them both, one grey, one red. Guessing looking for scraps and or cats roaming around.

• tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭

allen griggs, I had an almost identical experience from a tree stand. Then there was the morning I was driving to work down a road with a river on the right and a sheer cliff on the left. Poor fox was freaking out with no good place to go.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,621 ******

Several years ago when hunting over a bait pile was legal here, I enjoyed watching a pair of gray foxes hitting up on the apples I had put there. Told the wife and she got so excited that she baked up a couple loaves of fruit bread (packed with apples, bananas, oats, corn meal, cherries, and pears) special for the foxes.

She joined me that evening in the blind and sure enough, the foxes showed up and we must have enjoyed seeing them for the better part of an hour. The female took complete dominion over the bread and after eating her fill allowed her mate in for supper! As he was just getting started, they both totally froze up with ears perked forward toward the brush across from my shooting alley. A coyote came running full bull at them! So fast that I had no time to take a shot and all were gone in less than 60 seconds.

A couple days later I was pleasantly surprised to see both foxes were back and in good condition!

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Foxes are a main menu for yotes.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭✭

See them on the farm fairly often. One part of the farm has red foxes . On the other side of the road all you ever see are greys. The two don't share areas with each other

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I like seeing foxes. They are a rare sight around there. I have only seen a couple on our farm over the years. Most of the sightings I have are just outside of a town in our area. There is a creek that runs though the town and I see them at both ends on the outskirts of town. They are fun to watch...

I enjoyed the pics and story susie !

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Folks loose small pets,cats dogs, etc thinking a neighbor or passer stole them.

They often end up as yote scat.

So coyotes eat foxes. I didn't know that.

I saw a documentary on Yellowstone Park and they showed the wolves eating coyotes, left and right. Wolves hate coyotes and kill them for sport, and if still hungry they eat 'em.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,621 ******

Well! It is a dog eat dog world out there!