In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Not To Hijack Locust Fork; Here Is How I Pack A Rifle With Projections

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

A projection can be a detachable magazine, a scope, or a bolt. I try very hard to streamline the package so as to avoid any chance of breaking a projecting part,or having it stuck through the box.

And the way I do it, the recipient can't "accidentally" throw the extra parts away.

I use very heavy duty bubble wrap. You cannot pop these bubbles with your fingers. It's expensive, but worth it. And I wrap the rifle/shotgun heavily from butt to muzzle, taping the wrap in place. I make sure there is a double thickness of wrap over sensitive areas such as iron sights, muzzle, stock toe, etc.

If I can remove the scope, I will. Same with bolt and magazine. These are wrapped with the same wrap and taped to the bottom of the forend of the rifle. No way the receiver can claim he didn't see it.

People think I charge too much for shipping, but in reality, I usually under-estimate my shipping cost.

That's how I do it. Your mileage may vary.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

I really appreciate an item being packaged as you describe. I'm willing to pay an extra/fair price for too. So many folks cry about the shipping cost though and say that's how the seller is making extra money. That statement burns me up.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

I pack guns in craft tubes extra cost but no breakage ,don't like ship cost don't bid

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I like when I receive a rifle, and it comes in a hard case. They are usually a 20 dollar case, but the added protection is appreciated, and I am willing to pay extra for it. If it has the original box, I know it can't be shipped like that.

I do what you do, David. I send the extra on wrapping, and eat the extra cost of shipping. I do this, because I don't want to deal with the BS of having a gun broken, or missing parts. It comes down to maybe an extra 20 bucks. oakie

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

I always say, "Pack them like they are going to be air dropped without a parachute!". Never had a complaint.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

or.......pack them like a gorilla is going to throw them around during shipping...........remember the old American Tourister luggage commercials?

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

I saw where someone included the rigid molded cardboard corners from appliance boxes in their packaging. They felt that the stiffness would help prevent breakage. Of course, large dealers would have to find a source for these.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

We have a LOT of hard cases here, soft cases and several size boxes all ready to go. A plano hard case used to be $11 wholesale.....they are $20 now.....the zipper cases were $6....they are $10 now....that is what I pay for them from a wholesale seller, not retail prices. The shipping of any long gun anywhere averages out to $30 or a bit more. I have one employee that I pay JUST to handle shipping. So taking all of that into account I am actually losing money for every long gun I ship. Using the paper cuts cost a tiny bit, but not enough to make up for what we actually pay in shipping costs. If its a synthetic gun, no scope and has little to no chance of being damaged in shipping we go with the paper to pack it.

The packing is done in one room....away from all the other work in a spare bedroom that isn't being used for anything else. The bed has become the work space or "table" for packing boxes. My entire house will eventually be taken over by this ordeal.....but for now, its just the entire upstairs area.

The long guns with bolts have their bolts removed and put in a bubble wrap envelope, then the rifle and bolt are both wrapped in paper....then wrapped a second time in that same paper. The hard cases aren't always the best choice to ship something safely.....by the time to take something down, wrap it up in ayers of thick paper and then pack the paper around the item the paper is actually a lot more secure and less volnerable to damage. The paper has proven to be more secure than bubble wrap as well because the bubbles get popped in shipping sometimes and then things start to shift around.

The craziest, but most secure thing I've run into was something that was wrapped in plastic and then spray foam was used. What a nightmare to unpack though!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

Who sells craft tubes?

Neal

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭

It sounds as though you have a pretty good way of packing Mr. Nunn and taping the loose parts to the fore end is a very good idea.