In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recoil Pads - Do We Love Them or Hate Them?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

Seems like all new rifles these days come with soft squishy, Limb-Saver style recoil pads. On the one hand, I really appreciate them at the range for extended shooting sessions. However, I’m in the deer stand right now, and this dang thing is sticking to everything like velcro. Have to be very careful and deliberate bringing it to shoulder or it snags on clothing.

I think I prefer a slip-on pad for the range, but just a metal or plastic end-plate for hunting when you might only shoot once or twice if you’re lucky.

The Pachmayr slip-on may be a good compromise, I have one at home that seems to be very soft, yet has a smooth (i.e. non-snagging) surface coat.

Thoughts?

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

I have a LimbSaver slip on recoil pad on my slug gun shotgun. It has been on there for over 15 years. Absolutely love it and have endorsed limbsaver many many times. My recoil pad has not ever been sticky or gummy.

I have been wanting to replace it due to its age thinking it is probably starting to break down. (yet shows no signs of it )

I'm now hesitant to buy a new one as this is like the third time hearing the exact same thing as you described. They must have changed how they are made. OR, is gun cleaning solvent(s) getting on the pad and partially dissolving it? How do the pads feel right out of the package, new?

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Well, when I say “sticky,” I really just mean the natural “grabiness” of the soft rubber. Nothing wrong with it.

That said, I have had the Limb-Saver slip-ons that “melted.” Didn’t get hot or anything. Just sitting in a drawer for a few years, and at some point, a chemical change happened and they literally melted into a mis-shaped, sticky mess. Called Limb-Saver, and it was a known, temporary issue. They immediately sent me out brand new ones, no questions asked. Great service!

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Well, when I say “sticky,” I really just mean the natural “grabiness” of the soft rubber. Nothing wrong with it.

I see what you're saying now. Never had that issue either. Glad they took care of you with the one that did melt down.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts? I think you just missed that nice buck that walked in front of you while you were typing....🤣

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

That’s okay, I’m out of buck tags anyway. 😁

Today is the last day. Just need to shoot 8 does in the next hour to max out. Haha!!

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

None of my hunting guns have a recoil pad for the reasons you described. Up here in Michigan we usually have a lot of heavy clothes on anyway. For bench shooting i use a strap-on vest type shoulder pad.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hunting you dont feel any recoil, on the bench you do.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

None of my hunting guns have them except one or two old shotguns. Those were on the guns when I got them.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 6 3/4 pound 308, and my old worn out shoulder thanks me for putting on that Limbsaver! It also added the 3/4" extra LOP I needed. I was shooting some buckshot a couple of weeks ago, and after 4 shots I was wishing for one on my Wingmaster! I know, I know, I'm getting OLD!!!

• Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a lifelong fan of Pachmayr Decelerator pads. Most of the newer kind like Limbsaver remind me of chewed bubble gum, and seem to come apart about as easily. Most of my Pachmayrs are 20+ years old, and still seem to be as soft as ever.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. When I was still working the gun counter one of the biggest customer complaints was recoil pads that turned to mush. When Remington went to the limbsaver type pad I instructed all the sales guys to make sure they told the customer to avoid getting any oil order solvent on the pad. They were the worst offender and Remington wouldn't warranty them. All the pads for my personal guns have been Pachmayr for the last 15 years. The last one was put on that Winchester 101 and it does what it is supposed to do. Bob

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a slip on Decelerator yesterday for one of my 308s, soft but not gummy and it doesn't grab cloth.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think the best solution for the gun so equipped would be to wrap something around the pad so it isn't quite so grippy. Maybe saran wrap or similar? I wish I had a good solution myself.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

They do make pads that have a leather facing to slide easier on your clothes as the gun is mounted. I have also seen some folks cover the pad with duct or electricians' tape. Doesn't look good but seemed effective. Bob