In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Frogdog,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,083 ******

Curious if you got that screw out of the 700? @Frogdog

Comments

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭

No luck. I let it soak in penetrating oil, ground a bit to fit tight, applied heat, gave the screw a few whacks. Nothing worked.

Tried a drop off hot glue between the bit and screw. Nope. Took it up a notch to Gorilla glue. Not even close.

Unfortunately, I think there is too much damage to the screw head, and I can’t get any leverage. I’m not equipped to drill it out properly myself, so it’s going to be off to the local gunsmith.

On the bright side, aside from the stuck screw, it’s like new, and I got it off my friend for $250. Even having to pay to have the screw pulled, still a good buy.

• Options

That is one stuck screw. Having a gunsmith take it out is a good move in my opinion. Agree, even with the cost of the smith you are ahead and will have a nice gun. Good luck.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭✭

One last thing to try, heat it enough to melt parafin down into the threads then try removing it

• Options
    edited January 2023

Update:

Went to the gunsmith today. After about two hours, he got it out….. or at least what was left of it. Said it was the most difficult screw he has ever worked on in 30+ years.

All those little at-home tricks I was trying never had a chance.

• Options

Holy cow. Glad that's taken care of. You tried telling us it was really stuck, but noooo, we wouldn't listen: Beat the heck out of it harder, bigger hammer,put more glue on it, bigger drill at higher speed, get the cutting torch. LOL.

Glad you knew when to give up and did not cause damage to the gun. All's well that ends well.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******

I've run across a few of these tough screws and have had to drill into them and use an "Easy Out" bit to remove.

@Frogdog , do you know if your gunsmith did the same?

• Options
    edited January 2023

Brookwood,

He tried the “easy-out” somewhere in the middle of the process. It did not work. He ended up using some kind of carbide cutting bit that had an edge on both sides (he said it was an $80 bit). From a Tap set maybe? Anyhow, it didn’t so much get the screw out as it did cut it into little bits. Once the hole was blown out, he did something with a T-wrench to clean up the threads.

Sorry for the poor description.