In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My son Chris.

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

This boy did okay for himself. Upon graduating from HS, he wanted to go into the Marines. During his physical that year, they discovered a brain tumor. Military wouldn't take him, due to medical reasons. He then decided to go to College for Biology. Upon Graduation, he informed his mother and me, that he did this for us and really wanted to be a Mechanic, working on Cars, trucks and Motorcycles. Back to college to get all his certificates. Got a great job with a local garage and got started. Today, he was hire by Penske, as a mechanic. Started him out at 38 an hour, Four weeks vacation , Eye, dental and medical all paid, 401k and a pension. Couldn't be prouder of him.

I told him, just do what makes you happy and you will never work a day in your life. You don't need to impress anyone, or make a million dollars, Just support your family and be an honest hard worker. Everything else will fall into place.

His tumor went from the size of a golf ball, to the size of a pea, with the medications they gave him at Penn Medicine. He didn't need surgery, as it shrunk to an acceptable size. He still gets some headaches, but learned to deal with it.

My son isn't a surgeon, he is not a doctor or lawyer or a business man, but He sure did good for himself. I am so proud of him. Maybe someday, I will share a very traumatic event that he went through, and you will understand why I am grinning from ear to ear!!! Oakie

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭

Good job for your son!

I had a career as a paramedic, and another as an over the road truck driver. Being a mechanic is a much better career than either of those two.

$38 an hour with big benefits. Congratulations, young man!

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

Good on him. In my opinion, his college education will not be for naught.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭

My folks taught us 4 boys that people can take away your freedom, your money, your property but they can't take away your education, that's one thing that's yours forever 😉

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Mods, throw this one away 😊

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭

Having kiddos is the best and if you are one day blessed with grandkids that is the bestest.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

I always like to think I had some influence on my own kids success, but I think I was in their way more than anything. Glad your son is doing well, Oakie.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

I love to see young people do well for themselves,especially ones that went through adversity like your son.Sounds like he was raised right and got solid advice from dad.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Great story, Oakie! Love to hear folks supporting their kids this way. I’m raising mine the same way. College should not be the automatic answer for everyone. I want my kids to FIRST decide what they’re after in life, and then chart their course to get there. Might be college, maybe trade school, perhaps something else. We’ll see.

I’ve set mine up with 2 years each of paid-for school thanks to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The rest is up to them.

Congrats to your son! Well done.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******

Good job Chris, and good job to his parents as well.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭

He sounds amazing! If I get to meet him I'm going to hug the mess out of him.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com