In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spam calling numbers are insane

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I have to leave my phone open to all numbers because a new potential customer may call me.

Yesterday, over 40 spam calls were received, starting at 9:00 am and going until 8:30 PM

So far today, 26 spam calls and the frequency seems to be increasing.

The phone companies are limited by Federal law on blocking numbers. They can tag them telemarketer or potential spam but they must allow the calls to go through.

If there was a way to find these offshore buildings full of scammers I would have no problem treating them to a couple of Maverick missiles from a Raptor drone.

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******

I really feel for you Bruce! A couple years ago I cut my AT&T service down to basic to save money on my landline. I did not know that by doing this I would lose the caller ID feature! I must have lit some light somewhere at Spam Central because all of a sudden, my phone rang constantly! Must have been at least 30 to 40 calls a day but I had no counter feature to tell. Lost that too by going to basic.

Got so sick of the harassment that I completely severed ties with AT&T entirely. Put the landline on satellite with my Hughesnet internet provider for 20 bucks a month, having full amenities that were lost.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

I am trying to figure out how to reverse bill them for my time.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Few years back I use to pick a spam call number at random off the list in the phone. I would then set that number to 'call forward',sit down to dinner uninterrupted by those dang calls.

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Same problem here.

I've decided that if it's important, they'll call back.

That's the way it's going to be until remaining spammers have their eyes gouged out, burned at the stake, pilloried for three years, and boiled in Hillary's body fluids.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

...don't have a "block" function with your service, on your phone?...I get maybe one idiot call a day, and I block every phone number I dont like...my phone will tell me if there is a spam risk, unkown number, etc...

• Options

I have several hundred numbers blocked.

I did do a boo-boo and somehow inadvertently blocked my moms home number last fall. She could call me on her cell phone but not from her home phone. I finally got that goof fixed. Sorry mom, love ya!

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I have Nomorobo.com as I was tired of these robo calls that kept ringing constantly. The free service allows as I remember up to 40 spam calls that can be blocked, any more and you can pay 1.99 a month for basic service. I make a list of the numbers and then put them on nomorobo and the spam call will ring twice and stop. It's been a year and the amount of spam calls are about one a day, I think I have got to my 40 call limit, but it is very peaceful around here.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,955 ✭✭✭✭

Dude that is harsh! I get maybe 3 per week and have them mostly blocked. Some that show as potentiol spam are not, so the system is far from perfect.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited January 2023

I have learned that those spam callers can change their phone numbers as easy as me changing my underwear.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭

If the Federal government was worth a poop, they would do something about such BS. The Do-Not-Call list is worthless as mammary glands on a boar hog,

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

I have a device on our land line that can block 5,000 numbers in addition to 10,000 known spammers that are blocked in the machine. The problem is that they spoof numbers. What your Caller ID says is not who's calling. So it's pointless to block numbers. I now block very few for that reason. Exceptions are places that do use their actual number, like the Gallup Poll I blocked just this week.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

the 'ol radar gun -vs- fuzz buster detector

• Options

The spammers use the do not call list to confirm they have a good phone number. By the time the feds get around to addressing them they have already moved their operation and go right on calling.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******

I rarely get a spam call. I suspect using a phone for internet access is the gateway for spam callers.