In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How bad is the car business now??

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2023 in General Discussion

Watch this short video. Brand new cars showing up at wholesale auctions and lots of repos. How things have changed in the last year. Worse times to come??

(13642) Dealers Can't Sell TRUCKS or Cars! They Are Feeling The PAIN - YouTube

(13647) Car Dealers Can't Sell Cars! Banks Will BREAK The USED CAR MARKET!!! - YouTube

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

I've been wondering the same thing about the Real estate business. Seems to go from feast to famine quickly.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭

JMHO I can understand part of why sales are down ( not counting the parts shortages the comapnys are dealing with )

the cost of new car or truck is just crazy

yes I am happy for any one buying one it is a good feeling but man years since I bought a new car

I know several years ago seemed like leasing was the hot ticket to having a new vehicle not sure if that is still true

but just for the heck of it I did a quick search

• Full-Sized Pickup Trucks ($48,000 to $87,000)
    • Luxury Pickup Trucks ($42,000 to $105,000)

Jeep Wrangler has a starting price of $30,295 for two-door models and $34,165 for four-door models, which is fairly high for a compact SUV. The midrange Sahara trim starts at $44,320, but the range-topping Rubicon 392 model has a lofty $79,995

The average price Americans paid for a new car topped $47,000 for the first time in December

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Seeing more dealer financing at very low rates on UAW pickups since Joe Biden influenced the fed to raise interest rates. The lots are full of new trucks. Obviously new vehicle sales are not that great here.

Interestingly, the used market is thriving here.

Myself, I stick with Toyotas. They dont break and their resale value is much greater than union products.

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I also switched to Toyota Tundra last year. So far has been an excellent trouble free truck.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I have been trying to find a new Tundra 1794 Edition, but I will not pay over sticker for any vehicle. Also, I have run into many out of state dealers who will not sell to you unless you are a resident of their state.

The three local Toyota dealers are very proud of their vehicles (like $3000-$5000 over sticker proud)

I have also spoken to many dealers about ordering one and they have all told me 9-12 month lead time.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

My friend is a sales manager at a local dealership. Sales are down due to inventory issues. However, their profits have never been higher.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

Saw a news story this morning about how used car prices are coming down, but are still too high. They listed four vehicles that are considered "unaffordable" because they are priced so far above value. All of them are small and mid-size SUVs, topped by the Rav4 and CRV.

My local dealer drools over my 2008 Highlander I bought there. It's low miles and immaculate. Offered me quite a bit over Blue Book, but I declined. To replace it would be horrendously expensive.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

That was a nice looking Corvette. Too bad it isn't selling. Course, sounds like that's the dealer's fault.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

How bad is the car business now??

I really don't care. I'm not buying or selling.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I understand, but there are a lot of people employed in the auto bizz and if they are not working then they probably won't be buying very many guns.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭

The 2020 Ram truck I have listed for $66,000. The same truck today list for $78,000 !!!!!!!!! Ray

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭

Locally on the New, a guy walked in paid sticker + price in cash for a Ford 150.

Turns out the $$$ was counterfeit. ID fake too. Truck long gone.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with @nunn, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Every time I take my Jeep back to the Stealership for "Warranty Work," they approach me to buy it back.

My response, "You already screwed me once, why would I give you another chance?" Shuts them right up.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I have never had a problem with driving an old,paid for truck.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

Car lots here are very busy, both new and used.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭

That's why I sold my Chevelle last spring, the market was at a ridiculous high, so I made a difficult decision and sold it. We got twice what it would have sold for in 2019, with no regrets.