In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

$5.17 for a dozen large white eggs today at Wal-Mart. This was the cheapest dozen eggs I saw!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I don't remember the price of a dozen jumbo eggs. Jumbos are what I always used to buy. I looked at the price and almost ran screaming from the store!! ?? $7.50??

I can remember a few years back there was an Easter special on eggs. 29 cents a dozen for large white eggs so you could have bunches of Easter eggs to hide for the kids. My, my, my how times have changed!!

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******

I've heard an avian flu has decimated the flocks. Probably came from China.

Our 9 hens are still laying 5-6 eggs a day.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******

Eggs are an ingredient in a lot of foods. Prices are going to go up still more.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

They've had to kill millions of chickens due to that flu. That means they have to hatch millions of eggs to replace them. Which in turn means fewer to sell while demand stays the same.

Fortunately, chickens grow fast and this will be a short-term thing. (Wife says she paid $7/dz this week.)

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna have to paint potatoes for Easter this year!

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,371 ******

I was wondering how much milk can be added to one egg and still get a solid omelet? 😁

My old three egger's may be just another thing of the past!

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I covered/worked Dairy Tues/Wed. (Usually Meat dept.)

Trust me, I heard about the price of eggs, all day long - for two days. 🙄

(Then) Spent Thurs hearing about the price of meat, all day long. 🙄

*News Flash - the guy working in a grocery store, does not control the price. 🤔

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

no but you are the face they see above the price tags, done it for 40 years, I now don't miss it one bit...........

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Then, @hillbille to make it worse - I had to keep explaining to Marines, that a "dozen" eggs was 12. 🤔😉😂🤣

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

when I get a carton of eggs they have 18 in them, what is this dozen you talk about??????

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******

I'm pretty sure my eggs cost at least that much, if not more, all expenses considered, but I eat very few of them. Most, I give away at church.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

Quit buying eggs at Walmart. Wife says I have to cut back

But ..... Rulers (Kroger) has them for $ 1.99 a dozen Large this morning. Jumbo $ 2.39

Local " Sav a Lot " had a Sale Wed .99 a dozen, limit 4 . Stocked up. Pork Chops today $1.99

So think I'm set on Eggs and pork for at least 2 weeks.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Thank God above for my flock of laying hens. I eat at least three eggs every day and give the remainder away to friends and neighbors. I refuse any money for them telling them "my eggs, my rules" give the money they wanted to pay to their favorite charity.

I bought scratch grains today $14.50 for 50 pounds. They had no cracked corn so the girls got a real treat. One scoop a day plus free range vittles all summer. They do eat about 100 pounds of feed every six weeks in the winter. Cost wise, I don't keep track but the chickens are stupid easy to keep and don't cost too much for my meager budget.

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

$6.70 for two dozen at Costco a few days ago. Picked up 2 dozen. I like my eggs for breakfast.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Wal-Mart thinks we're all dependant on them and China, I say show them otherwise, try your very best to spend your money elsewhere.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Walmart is just shearing the sheep.

• Options
    GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

We quit raising chicks years ago.

Started buying started hens that were closer to egg laying.

Then we couldn't get them anymore. Always sold out or not available at any price.

So, then we started raising twice as many as we really needed and put half up for sale as they became ready to lay.

Nobody wanted them...LOL.

I think I can fix the egg problem this early spring by ordering hundreds of day-old chicks. Soon as I get them egg prices should plummet.

GTR

edit to add, we sell our excess after the friends/family @ 2.50/dz. It doesn't cover feed and labor but hey...I like farm eggs.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭

Th flu came over the southern border thanks to Sleepy Joe

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭

We are still getting 8-9 eggs a day from our 9 hens. We are on large acreage and have not brought any new hens into the flock so we have avoided the flu.

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭

A fellow teacher of my DIL has several chickens and sells a few eggs, just recently her egg numbers dropped dramatically during week days only, seems someone is gathering her eggs for her while she’s at school.

I suggested she invest in a wireless trail cam or two, she would get photos sent directly to her phone as the trespassing occurred.

Mule

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

JMHO

still cheaper to buy the eggs

We have had chicken for ever it seems like my wife's pets

We eat a few eggs use some for baking

Use to give away countless eggs .now we just boil up almost all of them then just feed them back to the chickens

Our dogs and cats will not even eat the eggs no matter if raw or cooked

We do have some skunks that been living here for years they steal a few but leave the chickens alone plenty of cat food they dine on for our cats

Most of the flock has died off and getting old but we still get about 8 to 10 eggs a day

With the cost of feeding and taking care of them and to me just a pain in the butt .but hey ate my wife's pets

i know what they what they have been fed and are free range they run the yard just about every day the weather will allow it

But even so

I would gladly pay the 5.00 a dozen

Lol