In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

On the subject of dealer or vehicle service and CARFAX.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

The last vehicle I bought new had several free complimentary oil changes followed by discounts so I allowed the dealer to change my oil and provide a free inspection. Unbeknown to me every time, I brought my vehicle in they were sharing every information with CarFax.

Well this may seem harmless but after each service Carfax sends me a report of my vehicles condition and an assessed value along with letting me know its impeccably maintained. I think this is a waste because the dealer gives me a report at every servicing.

It didn't take me long to figure out I was getting unsolicited offers to buy my vehicle from dealers when I do not intend to sell shorty after each service, but if that isn't enough, I am almost certain they are sharing my and probably others vehicle reports with the county and city tax collectors.

My personal property taxes went up and when I challenged the tax office they knew the mileage, the condition, and that it is well maintained and in mint condition. Where else could they get this info since it is not required for new tags or any tax assessment.

From now on I will do may own oil changes and tire rotations.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited January 2023

Scam from the get go. We bought a used Accura and the dealer whipped up a Car Fax report. No accidents. After a while, I started finding welds where there should be none.

Then the motor blew up at 108,000 miles.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I've never heard from CarFax but get at least a couple of offers a month from dealers for both Judy's and my vehicles. I only frequent one GM dealer for maintenance but these offers come from Ford, GM, Chrysler, and most of the Jap brands as well as BMW a couple of times. They all know the year, model and trim level of our vehicles. Kind of unnerving how much info is out there on everyone. Bob

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

I would not be happy about that.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

cheifr, I am convinced you are spot on. I had same experience. They wanted and did send me e-mails on the service particulars of my truck and ads which I did not want. (keep my own log book of service performed) Over a year ago 6,000 + miles on my two year old truck and mechanic mistakenly wrote 62,000 miles on insp sticker. I think it got reported to Carfax maybe to DMV also incorrectly. I grilled my ins co when 62,000 miles came up on my declarations page. They would not fess up on source of 62,000 miles. There are no secrets anymore and i don't trust Carfax as far as I can spit.

I know there are good reasons why repairs are reported to them but consider: Fellow backed into my drivers door and truck was parked. Got new door and paint was flawless. Carfax stuck it to me on value of truck that was repaired flawless when i was thinking about trading it in a moment of weakness.-------------------------Ray

PS: one of our members says some states are getting wise to Carfax devaluing vehicles.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I do not trust or like to use them

not all accidents are reported so never trust a car fax . too easy to have a car repaired and never reported

if you have access to a shop as in DIY or a friend or family who own a body shop or back yard repair shops too easy to never get reported damage

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

Agree, I would let dealer know that I was not happy and I would let the dealer know I will be telling everyone about what dealer is doing with your personal info.

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...Years ago, with my first new truck, I took it to the dealership for all the general maintenance, oil changes, etc...one day I was telling my older brother about the time it took, just for an oil change, usually involved several hours, excluding drive time...my brother laughed and then gave me some of the best advice I have ever had, he said "take the warranty and throw it in the back of the drawer, and don't get it out unless the engine falls out"...Ive done that ever since and saved who knows how much time not dealing with those idiots...

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭

Buried deep in the fine print of almost everything we do is something like "we share some pertinent data with third-party partners." That's just the way it is today. If we dig hard enough, there may be a way to opt out - but often there isn't. You want what they're selling you, you have to accept that they are also selling you to somebody else.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I was told when I bought my Jeep - "Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty IF You Do ALL Your Service Work Through Us." I was and it was documented.

Recently had a Wheel Sensor go out and light up my dash. Just out of curiosity, called the Dealership/Stealership. "Oh no, your warranty ran out at 36K miles." They had also recently been bought out/renamed. What a bunch of crooks.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭

I sold a Toyota FJ a few months ago.Everyone that inquired about the vehicle wanted to know if I had a CarFax .I did and the FJ brought top dollar.That is the only good I have seen from CarFax.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I also bought the life time warranty with my Jeep. They did honor it at 40,000 when the water pump went. Of course over charging the warranty co. (ie. $80 for a fan belt & the rep giggled when I mentioned it.) However, I will not bring it to a dealer anymore for routine maintenance. The last 2 times, at 2 different dealerships, the flunky didn't tighten both the oil drain plug and the filter. I'm also thinking they were hoping I wouldn't notice the drips & they would get to replace an engine under the warrantee. Dealer service is a scam.

A dealership close to HQ was so bad, we had forms at the front desk with their info pre printed on them. It took time, but we finally got them fined & they had to make restitution to many customers before closing down.

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭

I had an issue with a carfax several years ago trying to trade trucks. When I had my truck in for oil change/service the mileage was recorded wrong, quite a bit higher than it actually was. Subsequent service jobs were recorded at the correct odometer readings which were quite a bit lower. When I went to trade this discrepancy showed and made it look as though the mileage had been tampered with, rolled back if this is even possible at this day and age. It was a mess to get straightened out. Most everything is reported to carfax now. I even had a carfax report on a truck for a tire jack replacement that the factory had forgot to put in the truck when I purchased it. Best to make sure everything is correct when getting any work/service done on your vehicle.