In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any thoughts on this ?

For all you avid reloaders:

A friend has asked me to make him some cases for the 44 auto mag. That’s easy enough, but when I started looking at reloading data I see it specifies large Pistol primers. As 44 auto mag cases are made from 308 brass the primer pockets would be too deep for pistol primers to be seated correctly (giving the proper amount of “crush” on the pellet). Nominal seating depth for any primer is between .003 and .008 below flush of the case head. At that depth there is limited “crush” against the primer pellet, seating deeper means a possible light strike by the firing pin.

Anyone see a way around this ?

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

My (old) Speer Manual says only use pistol primers for this cartridge. I read into this, try it and see if it works. There are variables involved here that may or may not work, e.g., firing pin protrusion, primer hole depth, actual primer size of different manufacturers. I think you can only koad and test. Good luck.

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

All I can say is that a 1911 will fire a pistol primer seated way down in a rifle depth primer pocket. But it has almost unlimited firing pin protrusion. I don't know the firing pin protrusion of an Automag.

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input. I have made up the cases for the guy that wanted them and explained my concerns, now the problem (if there is one) is his. I'm sure he'll let me know.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

when I had an automag I used rifle primers with no problem, just adjust your loading.

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Yes Mike, that would be my thought too. I later found an RCBS loading book that stated that due to the reduced internal capacity of military brass and the resultant increase in pressures, it was emphasized that pistol primers only were to be used.

Pays your nickle and takes your choice !

XX

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

just to note; when making .44 auto mag. cases out of military cases I had to inside ream the cases to have enough clearance to chamber